Yvonne Strahovski is an Australian actress who is popular for her appearance in the television series Chuck (2007-2012) as CIA agent Sarah Walker, Dexter (2012-2013) as Hannah McKay, and 24: Live Another Day (2014) as CIA agent Kate Morgan.
Yvonne Strahovski was born as Yvonne Jaqueline Strzechowski on Friday, July 30, 1982 (aged 40; as of 2022), in Werrington Downs, Australia. Her zodiac sign is Leo. Since childhood, Yvonne was inclined to the theater. In an interview she said,
I took my first drama lessons when I was 12. I was always doing home videos and doing these little sketches.
Height (approx): 5′ 9″
Eye color: Dark Blue
Hair color: Blonde
Family and ethnicity
Yvonne Strahovski is of Polish origin. Her parents emigrated from Warsaw, Poland before Yvonne was born.
Parents, Brothers, and Sisters
Her father, Peter Strzechowski, is an electronics engineer, while her mother, Bożena Strzechowski, is a laboratory technician.
Relationships, Spouse, and Children
At the 2017 Emmy Awards, Yvonne Strahovski revealed that she was married to her longtime boyfriend Tim Loden, an actor, and producer.
Together, Yvonne and Tim have one son, William Loden (born October 2018).
In December 2021, the couple had another child born whose name is not revealed yet.
She was educated at Santa Sabina College in Sydney, Australia. Growing up in a Polish family, Yvonne never felt confident in her English vocabulary skills at school. It was Yvonne’s English teacher, Mrs. Halliday, who introduced her to plays, literature, poetry, and the classic Shakespear novels, after which she excelled in the subject. In 2003, she graduated from the Nepean Theater Program at Western Sydney University (formerly known as the University of Western Sydney). During her college years, she co-founded a small theater company called Sydney’s Sauna Productions Theatre. After completing her studies, she worked as an actress for three years in Australia before landing the lead role in the American action-comedy Chuck (2007).
As a Television Actor
Since her television debut Double the Fist (2004) in which she played the role of Suzie, she has appeared in numerous television shows. She rose to fame when she starred as CIA agent Sarah Walker in the American spy drama Chuck (2007).
Her popularity increased with Showtime’s Dexter (2012) in which she played the role of Hannah McKay, a serial killer and the love interest of protagonist Dexter Morgan.
She gained immense appreciation for playing the protagonist of CIA agent Kate Morgan in 24: Live Another Day (2014).
In 2017, Yvonne Strahovski appeared in the critically acclaimed series The Handmaid’s Tale. Yvonne has been nominated for various prestigious accolades such as the Primetime Emmy Award (2018), Golden Globe Awards (2019), and Screen Actors Guild Award (2018-2020) for playing the role of Serena Joy Waterford.
In 2020, she starred as Sofie Werner, in the Australian television drama “Stateless”.
Yvonne Strahovski made her film debut when she played the role of Sondra in the film Gone (2007). She then appeared in the movies Killer Elite, I, Frankenstein, and Manhattan Night.
As a voice actor
Yvonne Strahovski began her journey as a voice-over artist when she portrayed the character of Peg Mooring in the Danish-American animated film Lego: The Adventures of Clutch Powers (2010). Later, she lent her voice in the films The Outback (2012) and Batman: Bad Blood (2016).
Strahovski’s likeness was used to develop the character of Miranda Lawson in the Mass Effect video game series (2009-2013). Yvonne made her Broadway debut with the lead role of “Lorna Moon” in Clifford Odets’ revival of Golden Boy (1964) for which she won the Theater World Award (2013).
- Won the Teen Choice Award for Choice Action TV Actress (2010) for the television series Chuck (2007)
- Won the TV Guide Award (2011) for Favorite Actress for the TV series Chuck (2007)
- Won TV Guide Award for “Favorite Couple Who Have” with Zachary Levi for the TV series Chuck (2007)
- Won the Saturn Award for Best Guest Leading Role on Television (2013) for the TV series Dexter (2013)
- Won AACTA Award for Best Lead Actress in a TV Drama (2020) for Stateless (2020)
Facts / Anecdotes
- Yvonne adopted the phonetic spelling of “Strahovski” as her stage name instead of “Strzechowski” for easier pronunciation.
- Hollywood celebrity Tom Hanks was Yvonne’s celebrity crush during her high school days. Also, the films Turner & Hooch (1989) and The ‘Burbs (1989) with Tom Hanks were his favorite films. In an interview she said,
I was obsessed with Tom Hanks. He was my high school crush. Everyone had pictures of Brad Pitt on their textbooks, and I was the weird one who had Tom Hanks.
- In an interview, she revealed that she wore a nose ring for five years and the hole was still visible in close-up.
- Yvonne is an animal lover and starred in an ad campaign for PETA with a tagline that reads “Always Adopt. Never buy.” PETA
- She had a pet dog named Chazzy who died in 2018. Now she has a dog named Wilburg.