Sofia Jirau is a Puerto Rican model and businesswoman who became the first Victoria’s Secret model with Down syndrome in 2022.
Sofia Jirau was born as Sofía Isabel Jirau González on Tuesday, March 26, 1996 (age 26 years; as of 2022), in Puerto Rico.
Initially, Sofia did not attend regular schools as she had to go through various therapies every day. From the age of 2 to 5, Sofia attended Puerto Rican Down Syndrome Foundation’s little school and later, began looking for a regular school. She graduated when she was 19 years old. Jirau was inclined towards dancing since childhood and learned ballet dance form for a few years while she was in her teens. She always wanted to become a model. During an interview, talking about her desire to become a model since childhood, Sofia said,
Since I was little I said that when I grew up I wanted to be a model. I like modeling, being myself, being in front of cameras, and modeling on the catwalk quietly.”
Height (approx.): 4′ 9″
Weight (approx.): 50 Kg
Hair Color: Blonde
Eye Color: Grey
Figure Measurements (approx.): 34-28-34
Parents & Siblings
Sofia’s father’s name is Frankie Jirau and his mother’s name is Mimi Gonzalez. She has an elder sister, Paola Cristina Jirau. She also has two younger brothers named Rodrigo Jose Jirau and Nacho Jirau.
Sofia Jirau is the granddaughter of Francisco Jirau and Wanda Rosaly.
On March 26, 2019 (Sofia’s 23rd birthday), she began her journey as a model. She then did fashion photoshoots for various fashion magazines and fashion designers. On February 10, 2020, Jirau made her runway debut at the New York Fashion Week, being one of the very few models with Down Syndrome to have participated in the event.
Many popular media organizations like Vogue Mexico, People, Hola!, and Univision did the coverage of the fashion week. She has also collaborated with many popular photographers from Puerto Rico for fashion shoots.
She then joined INprende (a company in Puerto Rico that promotes entrepreneurship in various sectors through education and the design of creative ideas) as an Experience Ambassador. The company motivated Sofia to launch her online brand called ‘Alavett.’ The store was named ‘Alavett’ based on Sofia’s favorite phrase ‘I Love It.’
In an interview, talking about starting her online store, sofia said,
One day I took a blank piece of paper and wrote “Alavett” and Alessandra Correa from INprende took it and they helped me to have my product line. It’s out and you can buy. There are shirts, a cap, a wallet, a thermos, and a cell phone cover.”
Sofia became the first model with down syndrome to become a Victoria’s Secret Angel in 2022 after she accepted the offer to model for American retail company Victoria’s Secret for its Love Cloud Collection. Victoria’s Secret Love Cloud Collection is the company’s newest line of underwear. Sofia announced her association with the brand through her Instagram account and said that it was a dream come true for her. On her Instagram account, she wrote,
One day I dreamed of it, I worked on it and today it is a dream come true. I can finally tell you my big secret. I am the first Victoria’s Secret model with Down’s syndrome.”
She has also promoted various beauty and fashion products on her Instagram account.
- Food: Chicken with Broccoli, Stuffed Breast, Octopus, Shrimp, Fish, Pizza
- Beverage: Coffee
- Sport: Volleyball
- Singer(s): Bad Bunny, Ricky Martín, Luis Fonsi, Enrique Iglesias
- Place: Old San Juan in Puerto Rico
- Sofia loves going to a beach, mall, and Old San Juan in her leisure time. She also loves dancing and listening to her favorite beats whenever she is free.
- Jirau is a non-vegetarian and loves eating Chicken with Broccoli the most.
- She is a fitness enthusiast and visits the gym every day. At the gym, she mostly does ‘Boot Camp,’ a type of correctional facility for adolescents, especially in the U.S. penal system, and lifts little weights.
- She is fondly called ‘Sofi’ by her friends and family members.
- Jirau’s most-loved phrase is ‘I love it.’
- Sofia was featured on the cover of the ‘Salud Al Día’ magazine while she was in her teens.
- Jirau is fond of dogs. She owns a pet dog named Lola.
- Sofia admires the American singer Jennifer Lopez for her fashion sense and desires to meet her someday.
- In an interview, Sofia talked about motivating people with Down Syndrome or other ailments to pursue their dreams. She said,
I always say ‘Inside and out there are no limits’ to motivate people to break through their self-imposed limitations.”
- In an interview, Jirau revealed that her modeling journey began with a normal dress trial. She once tried an outfit by the fashion designer Marisa Santiago and she (Marisa) liked it so much that she immediately offered Jirau to showcase her work at a fashion event in New York.