Sanna Marin is a Finnish politician who was elected as the youngest Prime Minister of the world at the age of 34. She was elected to Finland’s top political post on 8 December 2019.
Sanna Mirella Marin was born on Saturday, November 16, 1985 (age 34 years; as in 2019) in Helsinki, Finland. Her zodiac sign is Scorpio. She did her schooling from the Pirkkala Upper Secondary School in Helsinki, Finland. She pursued Masters of Business Administration in 2017 from the University of Tampere in Finland.
Sanna’s parents had separated during her early years. She was raised by a single mother, who eventually entered a same-sex relationship. Her family was financially weak when Sanna was a child, and they used to live in a rented apartment.
Height (approx.): 5′ 6″
Eye Colour: Hazel Blue
Hair Colour: Dark Brown
Family & Husband
Sanna’s parents had separated when she was in her early years. Sanna’s mother raised her with a same-sex partner. In 2019, she got engaged to her long-time boyfriend Markus Räikkönen, and they have a daughter together, Emma Amalia Marin. Once, in an interview, she said that she’ll be marrying her fiance in 2019.
In 2006, Sanna joined the Social Democratic Youth (youth wing of the Social Democratic Party of Finland). In 2008, she contested the municipal elections of Finland, but she lost. In 2010, she was appointed as the first Vice-President of the Social Democratic Youth. In 2011, she entered the Social Democratic Party of Finland, and in 2012, she contested the municipal elections once again, and she won. She was elected to the “City Council of Tampere.”
In 2013, she was elected as the Chairperson of the Tampere City Council and also as a member of the Pirkanmaa Regional Council. In 2014, she was elected as the second Deputy Chairperson of the Social Democratic Party. In 2015, she was elected to the Parliament of Finland and as the Vice-Chairwoman of the Social Democratic Party. In 2017, she contested the Finland General Elections and won.
In December 2019, the Prime Minister of Finland, Antti Rinne, had stepped down after the coalition parties had withdrawn support from the Social Democratic Party after Rinne had mishandled a postal strike in November 2019. On 8 December 2019, Sanna Marin was elected as the new Prime Minister of Finland, with the support of 4 parties, making her the youngest sitting Prime Minister in the world at the age of 34. She became the third female Prime Minister of Finland. On 10 December 2019, Marin was sworn-in as the Prime Minister by Finland’s President, Sauli Niinisto.
The Social Democratic Party got the support of four parties- “The Centre Party,” “The Greens,” “The Left Alliance,” and “The Swedish People’s Party.” Sanna will be heading a five-party coalition government, all of them headed by women, four of which are headed by women under the age of 35.
- Sanna Marin loves to travel and doing outdoor activities.
- When she was 15 years old, she used to work in a bakery and distribute magazines for pocket money.
- Once, in an interview, she said that she comes from a rainbow family; as her mother is in a same-sex relationship. Sanna also attends pride parades regularly.
- Once, while talking about discrimination, she said-
As a child, I felt uncomfortable talking about my family due to my unconventional family as I had same-sex parents. The silence was the hardest. Invisibility caused a feeling of incompetence. We were not recognized as a true family or equal to others. But I wasn’t much bullied. Even when I was little, I was very candid and stubborn. I wouldn’t have taken anything easy.”
- She often fights for equal rights and has led many campaigns for equal rights. Once, while campaigning, she said-
For me, people have always been equal.”
- She started her political career at the age of 27, and within 7 years, she ascended to the top political post of Finland.
- She is very active on social media. Reportedly, she is also called the “Politician for the Instagram Generation;” as she is very active on Instagram, and she posts updates regularly. She is also popular among the youth as they relate to her simple and relatively normal way of life.
- Marin is a close confidante of the former Prime Minister of Finland, Antti Rinne.
- After becoming the PM, she appointed her cabinet, which primarily consisted of women.
- Within a week of becoming the PM, she attended the Europian Union (EU) Summit in Belgium. Reportedly, she made a positive impact there, and she was appreciated by several world leaders who had attended the summit.