Ricardo Chavira is an American actor. He is known for his performance in the TV series ‘Desperate Housewives’ (2004–2012) and ‘Selena: The Series’ (2020).
Ricardo Antonio Chavira was born on Wednesday, September 1, 1971 (age 49 years; as of 2020), in Austin, Texas, US. He was brought up in San Antonio, Texas.
He studied at Robert E. Lee High School, San Antonio. He did his Bachelor of Arts at the University of the Incarnate Word, San Antonio. In 2000, he attained his Master of Fine Arts in Acting from the University of California, San Diego. Shortly after, he moved to Los Angeles to pursue a career in acting.
Height IMDb: 6’ 1”
Hair Color: Black
Eye Color: Hazel
Family & Ethnicity
He is of Mexican origin. San Antonio Current He belongs to a family of migrant farmers.
Parents & Siblings
Ricardo Chavira was born to Bexar County Judge Juan Antonio Chavira and Elizabeth Ries Chavira.
Wife & Children
In 2007, he got married to Marcea Dietzel.
The couple is blessed with two children; a daughter named Belen Elysabeth Chavira and a son named Tomas Antonio Chavira.
He started his acting career with the Spanish-language Mexican short films ‘Así sucede en los pueblos’ (1987) and ‘De Vaqueros, aventuras y mas cosas’ (9187). He later acted in the short films ‘Boris’ (2002) and ‘Birth of a Killer’ (2016). In 2001, he made his big-screen debut with the American film ‘Barstow 2008’ in the role of ‘Guaco.’
He has also acted in the films: The Alamo (2005), Days of Wrath (2008), Pirahna 3D (2010), Being Charlie (2015), Narco Soldiers (2019), and Cosmic Radio (2021).
In 2001, he made his television debut with the American series ‘NYPD Blue’ (2001) in the role of ‘Kenny Sotomayor.’ In 2004, Chavira played ‘Carlos Solis’ (the main character) in the ABC comedy-drama series ‘Desperate Housewives.’ The series was a breakthrough for Ricardo and receiving wide coverage.
He has also appeared in the American TV series: Welcome to the Family (2013), Telenovela (2016), Scandal (2016), Santa Clarita Diet (2017), and Selena: The Series (2020).
Besides working in films and television, Ricardo has also worked as a theatre artist. He played lead roles in the production of the play ‘Tracers’ at the Odyssey Theatre in Los Angeles, and co-production of the play ‘Living Out.’ In 2010, he was seen playing ‘Stanley Kowalski’ in the Guthrie Theater’s production of ‘A Streetcar Named Desire’ by Tennessee Williams in Minneapolis. He also lent his voice to the character ‘Alejandro Borges’ in the film ‘Dead Space: Aftermath’ and ‘John Carver’ in the video game ‘Dead Space 3.’
Awards & Achievements
- Listed on the “50 Most Beautiful” list in People en Español in 2005
- Screen Actors Guild Award for Outstanding Performance by an Ensemble in a Comedy Series for ‘Desperate Housewives’ in 2005 and 2006
- Named one of “TV’s Sexiest Men” by TV Guide in 2006
- On the morning of May 2011, Ricardo was was arrested under the suspicion of driving under the influence by the Los Angeles Police at a routine checkpoint, where an officer smelled alcohol in his breath. He was taken to a field sobriety test, which he did not complete. He was arrested and was held on $25,000 bail after he refused to provide a breath and blood test. Daily Mail
- In October 2019, he called out to Felicity Huffman, his former Desperate Housewives castmate, on Twitter for receiving only a 2-week imprisonment sentence, despite her role in the 2019 college admissions bribery scandal. He had tweeted, TV Line
White Privilege. And I saw eight years worth of it, so I know what I’m talking about. Accountability and responsibility don’t mean [s–t] to these people. I saw eight years worth of it working on Housewives. I’ve seen a lifetime of it being a halfbreed, and I’ve struggled with the intricacies of it on a daily basis with all the cultural bias I’ve received on both ends. But whatever. Slap on the wrist. Sorry, but this is [s–t]”
- Food: Bouillabaisse, Oysters Rockefeller, Gumbo, Tacos
- Actor: Omar Sharif
- Singer: Bob Marley
- Basketball Player: Manu Ginóbili
- Basketball Team: San Antonio Spurs
- Politician: Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez
- According to Ricardo’s Instagram bio, he is left-handed.
- In 2005, he was the guest speaker at Earl Warren College and delivered a commencement address on ‘The Other Side of Despair.’
- After his mother died of breast and ovarian cancer, he started supporting breast cancer research. He is San Antonio’s honorary spokesman for ‘Susan G. Komen for the Cure,’ a nonprofit organization fighting to raise awareness for breast cancer. In the campaign ‘Race for the Cure’ of Susan G.Komen for the Cure,’ he served as the national team captain. In 2005, Ricardo, along with James Denton, became the spokesperson for the Lee National Denim Day breast cancer fundraiser.
- He is good friends with American actress, producer, director, activist, and businesswoman Eva Longoria.
- He loves dogs and has three mastiffs; one of them is named ‘Mona.’
- He has many tattoos on his arms; there is ‘resolve’ inked on his right wrist; there is ‘mischief’ tattooed on his left wrist; there are other tattoos on his left and right forearm.
- He follows the left political ideology and is a supporter of the US Democratic Party.
References [ + ]