Paul Labile Pogba, born March 15, 1993, in Lagny-sur-Marne, is a French professional footballer who plays for Premier League club Manchester United as well as the France national team. He mainly plays as a central midfielder, but he is frequently seen playing other roles, including left-winger, attacking midfielder, defensive midfielder, and deep-lying playmaker.
Paul Pogba currently plays for FC Sochaux-Montbéliard as a defender. During his childhood, he admired Arsenal.
The French player hails from Lagny-Sur-Marne, where he joined Ligue 1 youth team Le Havre in 2007. He then moved to Manchester United via a chaotic transfer process two years later. When he started his senior career at Manchester United two years later, he was released by the club and joined Juventus on a free transfer in 2012, where he won four consecutive Serie A titles as well as two Premier League titles as well as two Coppa Italia titles and two Supercoppa Italiana titles in his first two seasons. While in Italy, Pogba established himself as one of the most promising young players in the world and won the Golden Boy Award in 2013, followed by the Bravo Award in 2014. After helping Juventus to the first UEFA Champions League in 12 years in 2015, Pogba won awards in both the UEFA Team of the Year and the FIFA World XI categories for the 2016 season.
Height: 1.91 m (6 ft 2 in)
Weight: 84 kg / 185 lbs
Eye color: Black
Hair color: Black
Family and Ethnicity
Pogba is a Muslim by religion. Independent
Parents, Brothers, and Sisters
The footballer is the son of Guinean parents, Fassou Antoine (father- Guinean; died on 14 May 2017 due to long term illness Mirror ) and Yeo Noriba (mother- Congolese). Having emigrated to France from Africa in search of greener pastures, his parents became French citizens. Daily Mail
Besides, Pogba has older twin brothers who are also footballers. Mathias plays for Dutch club Sparta Rotterdam and for the Guinea national team while Florentin plays for French club Saint-Étienne.
Relationships/ Affairs, Wife, Children
Bolivian model Maria Zulay Salaues is dating the Manchester United superstar. Pogba was in the US with Manchester United for the International Champions Cup (ICC) when they were spotted together for the first time in Los Angeles in 2017. Although she lives in the US, Maria is frequently seen with Pogba in Manchester. Paul Pogba – Instagram
The two have two sons together; the name of one of the sons is Labile Shakur Pogba. Paul Pogba – Instagram
His first experience with football came at the age of six, playing for Roissy-en-Brie, several miles south of his home. His tenure at the club lasted seven seasons before moving to US Torcy. He was captain of the team’s under-13 side.
After completing a season at Torcy, Pogba joined the professional club Le Havre. As captain of the club’s under-16 team, Pogba led them to the final stage of his domestic league, the National Under-16 Championship, in his second season at the club. After finishing second to Lens in the final group stage, Le Havre edged out Lyon and Nancy. Moreover, Pogba has been called up to represent his country at the international youth level.
Playing for Manchester United
Announcing his departure from Le Havre on July 31, 2009, Pogba joined Manchester United’s youth academy in England.
Pogba completed his move to Manchester United on 7 October 2009. He made his debut for the club’s under-18 team on 10 October in a 2–1 loss to Crewe Alexandra. As a member of the Under-18 team that won the Torneo Calcio Memorial Claudio Sassi-Sassuolo in Bologna, Italy in April 2010, Pogba was one of the team’s captains.
In February 2011, Pogba was one of four academy players promoted to the first team by manager Alex Ferguson ahead of Manchester United’s FA Cup fifth-round tie against Crawley Town. Ferguson assigned him jersey number 42 that day and Manchester United went on to win their tenth Youth Cup title.
Pogba was confirmed as the team’s senior player by Ferguson ahead of the start of the 2011-12 season. After Pogba was promoted permanently to the team’s reserve team for the 2011–12 season, he made his first appearance for the team in their Premier Reserve League opener against Arsenal on August 15, 2011. Pogba was included in Manchester United’s first team for their Football League Cup match against Leeds United on 19 September.
At the end of the 72nd minute, Pogba came on as a substitute for Javier Hernández to make his Premier League debut for Manchester United against Stoke City on 31 January 2012. Another substitute appearance came against West Bromwich Albion on 11 March. After coming on as a 63rd-minute substitute for Michael Carrick, he made his European debut against Athletic Bilbao in Manchester United’s UEFA Europa League Round of the 16-second leg.
Playing for Juventus
Alex Ferguson confirmed the news of Pogba’s departure from Manchester United on July 3, 2012, as Pogba signed for Italian club Juventus, according to Ferguson. After Pogba passed a medical at Juventus on July 27, the club issued a statement on the deal, which was finalized on August 3, when he signed a four-year contract. In a pre-season friendly match against Benfica in Geneva on August 1, he made his Juventus debut as a 78th-minute substitute for Andrea Pirlo.
On September 22, 2012, Pogba played the full 90 minutes of his first competitive game for Juventus against Chievo. It was against Bologna on October 31 that he scored the winning goal in a 2-1 win. Moreover, Pogba is credited with scoring Fabio Quagliarella’s first goal. A number of Italian newspapers and magazines praised the midfielder for his performance in the game, including La Repubblica, Il Messaggero, and La Gazzetta Dello Sport.
He starred in Juventus’ 4-0 win over Lazio on August 18, 2013, which gave Juventus the 2013 Italian Supercoppa title. Pogba scored the game’s opening goal after being substituted by Claudio Marchisio; he was named Man of the Match for his performance. The Frenchman won the Golden Boy award for Europe’s Best Young Player for 2013 in December.
The Frenchman scored his first goal in the UEFA club competition on February 20 as Juventus beat Trabzonspor 2-0 at home in the first leg of the 2013-14 UEFA Europa League round of 32.
In Juventus’ away win over Milan on 20 September 2014, Pogba provided assisted in Carlos Tevez’s goal – the game’s only goal under new manager Massimiliano Allegri.
Juventus picked up their first win against Napoli at Stadio San Paolo in 14 years on 11 January 2015 when Pogba scored a volley that helped Juventus win 1–3. He scored his first Coppa Italia goal in the round of 16 of the tournament on January 15 when Juventus beat Verona 6-1. On his 100th Serie A appearance, Pogba scored Juventus’ first goal in a 2-1 win over Torino in the Torino Derby on October 31.
Back to Manchester United
In the Premier League match against Southampton on August 19, he made his first Premier League appearance since returning to the club.
Nonetheless, Pogba quickly returned to form and scored his first Premier League goal for United against defending champions Leicester City in a 4-1 win at Old Trafford on September 24.
During the opening matches of the 2018–19 season, Pogba temporarily took over the captaincy of the club due to the absence of team captain Antonio Valencia. With his new role as a designated penalty taker, Pogba started the season well, scoring four goals in the opening weeks. The new manager Ole Gunnar Solskjœr saw Pogba’s form improve by scoring twice in consecutive games against Huddersfield Town and Bournemouth.
Pogba started for Manchester United in their Premier League opener on August 11, 2019, contributing two assists in the team’s 4-0 win over Chelsea.
Pogba scored his first goal for Manchester United in the 2020-21 season on September 30, 2020, netting against Brighton & Hove Albion. His goal helped his side win 2-1 on aggregate and reach the quarter-finals of the UEFA Europa League Round of 16 with a 1-0 away win over Milan on 18 March 2021.
Pogba had four assists in the Premier League season opener on August 14, leading Leeds United to a 5-1 victory. As a result, he became the seventh player in Premier League history to record four assists in a game, and the first Manchester United player to accomplish the feat. He also got more assists than he had in all his previous games. BBC
At every stage of his international career, Pogba has represented France for the national youth football team. Pogba’s Under-16 team coach Guy Ferrier named him captain ahead of his international debut. The team’s first game of the campaign came against Wales on 23 September 2008 at Llanelli, when he made his debut as a youth international.
The October 27, 2010 match against Greece ended in a 4-1 win for Pogba as he made his Tournio de Limoges debut.
Pogba made his debut for the U19 team on September 6, against Italy in his first game of the season.
Mankowski signed Pogba as captain and the Frenchman made his Under-20 debut against China in a 0-0 draw. France U-20 captain Paul Pogba led the team to their first-ever FIFA U-20 World Cup victory. As a result, he was named the tournament’s best player.
2014 World Cup
Pogba made his senior France debut against Georgia in a 2014 World Cup qualifier on March 22, 2013. The first goal he scored after making his international debut came against Belarus in a 4-2 win, again in a 2014 World Cup qualifier.
France announced on 6 June 2014 that Pogba would be part of the World Cup squad. The Daily Telegraph On the final day of the tournament, July 13, 2014, Pogba was crowned the tournament’s best young player. FIFA
During the UEFA Euro 2016 in France, Didier Deschamps named Pogba in France’s 23-man squad for this competition. Four Four Two
2018 World Cup Victory
As announced by France on May 17, 2018, Paul Pogba has been selected for the FIFA World Cup for Russia 2018. Sky Sports
In the 2018 World Cup opener, he fired a shot that deflected Australian Aziz Behich and led to the goal in France’s 2-1 win over Australia. Initially, FIFA credited Pogba with the goal, but canceled it the following day, declaring it an own goal scored by Behich. Global ESPN
Pogba extended France’s lead over Croatia to 3-1 with a strike from the edge of the penalty area in the 59th minute of the 2018 FIFA World Cup final. His initial shot was blocked. Independent In the end, France won the World Cup with a score of 4-2.
In France’s final group match of the UEFA Euro 2020 tournament against Portugal on 23 June 2021, Pogba assisted Karim Benzema’s second but, which ended in a 2–2 draw, allowing them to win their group. The Guardian
Paul Pogba’s Style of Play
His primary position is central midfield, but he is also capable of playing on the left flank, as a midfielder, as a deep-lying playmaker, as a pair of box-to-box midfielders, or even as an attacking midfielder. Guinee Foot Manchester United describes Pogba as a “powerful, intelligent and creative” player with “an eye for goal and a flair for the spectacular”. Manutd It is also possible for him to play as an attacking-minded, often drifting central midfielder, what is known as the “mezzala” function in Italy. Gazzetta It is also possible for him to play as an attacking-minded, often drifting central midfielder, what is known as the ‘mezzala’ function in Italy. Sky Sports
As a midfielder, Pogba was deployed in a more advanced and creative role in his final season with Juventus rather than his usual box-to-box role. ESPN A combination of his vision and passing range led him to become the team’s primary playmaker, which allowed him to win more time on the ball. The Guardian His performances in this role led him to become one of the best and most complete midfielders of all time. Football Italia The Telegraph
- Announcing his departure from Le Havre on July 31, 2009, Pogba joined Manchester United’s youth academy in England. He surprised his parent club by making the move as they reportedly had a ‘non-solicitation agreement’ with Pogba in 2006, which was signed by him and his parents. Pogba’s contract with Le Havre, which lasted until the end of the 2009-10 season, allowed the club to sign him on an aspirant (youth) contract after meeting certain age and scholarships. In a statement posted on its website on August 1, Le Havre criticized Manchester United and the Pogba family. In addition, Le Havre announced that it would ask FIFA to investigate this case. Le Havre president Jean-Pierre Louvel had described Pogba’s exit from Le Havre as a monetary deal involving £87,000 and a house, according to Le Havre. Thus, Manchester United reportedly threatened to sue the club. Pogba responded by denying that he was leaving Le Havre for monetary reasons. Claiming that Manchester United used the same tactic to acquire Pogba from their youth academy, Pogba’s former club Torcy has also accused Le Havre of doing the same. A press release from Torcy went live the same day where Pogba announced his decision to move to England, distancing the company from the Le Havre accusations in a statement which read: « Nous n’utiliserons pas le terme « voler », mais les recruteurs du Havre a agi de la même manière avec le club de Torcy.» (Translation: ‘We will not use the term ‘stealing’, but the Le Havre recruiters acted in the same way with the Torcy club.’) Among the main reasons given as to why Pogba was allowed to sign an amateur license with Le Havre without informing Torcy is the club’s acceptance of Pogba signing an amateur license. An independent judge appointed by FIFA cleared Manchester United of any wrongdoing on October 7, saying Paul Pogba was not contractually bound to Le Havre. Despite the possibility of an appeal, Le Havre officials announced on 18 June 2010 that the club and Manchester United had agreed on a deal for the transfer of Pogba. It was not revealed what the terms of the agreement were.
- Similarly, Manchester United manager Alex Ferguson called out Pogba for disrespecting the club, saying: “C’est décevant. Je ne pense pas qu’il nous ait montré le moindre respect, pour être honnête. Je suis assez heureux que si ils [les footballeurs] continuent comme ça, ils feraient probablement mieux de le faire loin de nous.” Independent (Translation: “It’s disappointing. I don’t think he showed us any respect, to be honest. I’m quite happy that if they [footballers] continue like this, they probably better do it away from us.”)
- In the decisive Scudetto match for Juventus on 5 May 2013, Pogba was sent off for spitting at an opponent after being slapped. Gazetta
- The Football Association informed Manchester United that Pogba would be suspended for the Premier League opener of the 2016–17 season against AFC Bournemouth due to two yellow cards he received in the Coppa Italia with Juventus the previous season. Sky Sports
- Pundit Jamie Carragher has criticized Pogba’s lack of discipline in positioning following the 2-1 home defeat in the first Manchester derby of the season on September 10. Mirror
- Immediately after the game on October 20, 2016, manager Jose Mourinho defended Pogba, criticizing the ‘Einsteins’ of football for being too quick to judge him. Sky Sports
- As evidenced by the criticism leveled at Pogba in the few months of 2018, Pogba failed in his defensive duties and showed no discipline. Sky Sports Manchester United won 2-1 against rivals Liverpool while not in the starting lineup, and his side was knocked out of the Champions League in the round of 16 by Sevilla in March when he was only a late replacement. The Guardian
- On the eve of the Manchester derby, Manchester City manager Pep Guardiola claimed Pogba’s agent Mino Raiola offered the player a contract to play for his club. However, Raiola denied the request. Goal
- Despite Pogba’s selection as temporary captain for the 2018-2019 season, Mourinho announced that Pogba would no longer be team captain after a series of disappointing results. BBC Mourinho claimed there was “no problem” between Pogba and Mourinho, but footage of a fight between the two emerged in late September. Pogba featured in United’s starting XI despite this and scored in the team’s 2-1 win over Everton. Due to Pogba’s poor form and strained relationship with Mourinho, the Frenchman has been benched and linked with an exit from Manchester United in the January transfer window. Pogba and Mourinho have been at odds for some time now. The manager called it a ‘virus’ that contributes to United’s poor form. As a result, Pogba remained on the bench throughout subsequent matches, including the 3-1 loss to Liverpool in which Manchester United played. BBC Mourinho was sacked as manager of Manchester United after that match, BBC and the following day Ole Gunnar Solskjœr was appointed interim manager. BBC
JUST IN! 😳
Frosty footage just in from @ManUtd's training session between Paul Pogba and Jose Mourinho… ❄️
What has been said between the pair this morning? 👀 pic.twitter.com/nRiTEgDJlH
— Sky Sports News (@SkySportsNews) September 26, 2018
- After missing a penalty in a 1-1 away draw against Wolverhampton Wanderers in the next fixture in 2019-20, Pogba was the victim of racist abuse on social media. BBC
- In 2016, he received more criticism after conceding an early penalty against Ireland. Former England international Gary Lineker tweeted back: “Is Pogba the world’s most overrated player?” Pogba spoke about gay football players in the Premier League in August 2017. According to Pogba, during the UEFA Respect campaign in Monaco, gay footballers should be seen as equals. He further explained that “qu’il fait dans sa vie privée n’a rien à voir avec le joueur” et que “il faut juste le respecter […] (parce que) nous sommes tous égaux quand nous jouons au football”. Business Insider (Translation: “he does in his private life has nothing to do with the player” and that “you just have to respect it […] (because) we are all equal when we play football”.)
Is Pogba the world's most overrated player?
— Gary Lineker 💙💛 (@GaryLineker) June 26, 2016
- Serie A: 2012–13, 2013–14, 2014–15, 2015–16
- Coppa Italia: 2014–15, 2015–16
- Supercoppa Italiana: 2013, 2015
- UEFA European Under-17 Championship Team of the Tournament: 2010
- UEFA European Under-19 Championship Team of the Tournament: 2012
- Golden Boy: 2013 Tutto Sports
- Serie A Team of the Year: 2013–14, 2014–15, 2015–16
- FIFA World Cup Best Young Player: 2014
- Bravo Award: 2014
- UEFA Team of the Year: 2015
- FIFA FIFPro World 11:2015
- ESM Team of the Year: 2015–16, 2018–19
- UEFA Europa League Team of the Season: 2016–17,2020–21
- UEFA Europa League Player of the Season: 2016–17
- PFA Team of the Year: 2018-19 Premier League
Meal: Spaghetti al’ Arrabiata with Tuna & Vegetables Medium
Footballer: Andrea Pirlo, Medium Ravel Morrison
Around $35.5 million is Paul Pogba’s net worth according to Forbes. Forbes
- The young Pogba played for the Roissy-en-Brie team in the United States when he was just six years old!
- Following his transfer to Le Havre, Pogba became captain of the U-16 team. The Guardian
- Even though he left Manchester United without paying a fee, his return to the club in 2016 broke a record of 105 million euros. He had to be paid four times more than he asked for when he left Manchester in 2012. Manchester United (MU) paid Pogba’s manager £20m to take care of the club. Mirror
- Pogba is definitely a mama’s boy. The player took his mother to the FIFA red carpet event, where most players brought “eye candy”. Daily Mail
- Paul Pogba is famous for two things: dabbing after every goal scored and his hairstyles, such as ‘Am Batman’, ‘The star’ and ‘The leopard skin’, among others.
- Prior to Euro 2016, Pogba wore a hairstyle that had a bird on one side and a Pogboom on the other. Daily Mail
- At the end of the summer, Pogba returned to Manchester United with a simple blonde haircut. Goal There’s nothing wrong with going blonde like Messi, Aaron Ramsey, and Phil Jones, isn’t it?
- He was ranked among the ten most promising young players in Europe in January 2014 by The Guardian. The Guardian For his performance in April 2014, Pogba was also named man of the match.
- Pogba scored Juventus’ third goal against Olympiacos in the Champions League on 4 November in his 100th appearance for the club, helping them win the game; it was his first goal in the Champions League.
- The young French striker was among the 23 shortlisted candidates for the 2014 Ballon d’Or on October 28. He was the youngest on the shortlist, at 21. Sky Sports
- Pogba won the Bravo Award, which recognizes the best player under the age of 23 who has participated in European competition, by the Italian sports newspaper Il Guerin Sportivo in 2014. Spears Magazine
- Pogba was withdrawn in the first half of Juventus’ Round of 16 tie against Borussia Dortmund on March 9 after suffering a hamstring injury and was also ruled out for two months. Gazetta
- It was announced on July 15, 2015, that Paul Pogba was among the ten finalists for the 2015 UEFA Best Player in Europe award. UEFA
- After the departure of Carlos Tevez, he received the prestigious number 10 shirt which had already been worn by Alessandro Del Piero, Roberto Baggio, and Michel Platini in the 2015-16 season. ESPN
- According to the UEFA Best Player in Europe awards, he ranked tenth in 2015 on August 12, 2015, UEFA Best Player in Europe Award. UEFA
- Pogba was nominated for the 2015 UEFA Team of the Year on November 24, Gazetta after being named to the squad on January 8, 2016. Within three days he was named to the FIFA FIFPro World XI 2015. Juventus
- Former Manchester United midfielder Paul Pogba signed a five-year deal with his former club on August 8, 2016, for a then-record transfer fee of €105m (£89.3m), overtaking former record holder Gareth Bale by 5 million euros. Football Italia
- Pogba hinted in the summer of 2019 that his time at the club was coming to an end when he said “it might be a good time to take on a new challenge elsewhere”. Real Madrid and Juventus are linked with him. Although Pogba was expected to leave United, he took part in the club’s pre-season. At the end of July, Manchester United declined an offer of £27.6m plus Real Madrid’s James Rodriguez for Paul Pogba as the offer they felt was well below their valuation of the player. Sky Sports
- In Italy, he was nicknamed Il Polpo Paul (“Paul the Octopus”) because he had long legs that looked like tentacles when he attacked or ran. Lastampa and his energetic play on the court earned him the nickname “Pogboom”. Juventus
- In his youth, he was first compared to former France international Patrick Vieira due to his style of play and role in midfield. Lastampa
- Gianluigi Buffon compared Pogba to former French playmakers Michel Platini and Zinedine Zidane when he left Juventus in 2016, and praised his ability, leadership, work-rate, and attitude, both in the dressing room at the team than in training, stating that he “…is a tremendous warrior on the pitch but he’s also so talented. His ball control and the way he can quickly change the game from defense to attack are special.” Pogba can also take free-kicks and penalty kicks effectively.
- Pogba is sponsored by sportswear and equipment supplier Adidas. Adidas Together with other players from the Adidas stable, such as David Beckham, Lionel Messi, and Mohamed Salah, as well as the American singer Pharrell Williams, he appeared in an advertisement for the 2018 World Cup. Four Four Two
- Pogba’s ‘the Dab’ goal celebration first appeared in the FIFA 17 EA Sports video game series. Birmingham Mail
- Pogba attended the 2017 MTV Europe Music Awards in London with his brothers Florentin and Mathias. Paul and actress Natalie Dormer presented the “Best Song” award to Shawn Mendes, the Canadian singer. Hyper Leap
- The first emoji for a Twitter hashtag was created for Paul Pogba. Football fans know that Paul Pogba loves social media. As soon as he gets a new haircut or tries out a new look, the Frenchman can be seen posing on social media platforms. Twitter has reportedly added the first hashtag emoji to the midfielder’s account. An emoji of the Frenchman’s face has been created on the social media website to honor the man – a move that Ian Wright didn’t quite buy into. Medium
- At just 16 years of age, he hired a dietician!
- A well-known fact about Paul Pogba is that he has two brothers who play football. Florentin Pogba plays for MLS team Atlanta United, while Mattias Pogba is a striker for Manchego. Bleacher Report He represents a different country from his brothers, which is rarely known. Florentin and Mattias are New Guinea internationals, while Paul plays for France.
- Ever since he was a kid, he was a big fan of Ronaldo. “Ronaldo est mon modèle de footballeur et le joueur qui m’a fait tomber amoureux du football. J’ai été captivé par lui car je jouais devant quand j’étais plus jeune.” FIFA (Translation: “Ronaldo is my role model as a footballer and the player who made me fall in love with football. I was captivated by him as I played up front when I was younger.”) -Pogba on his idol, former Brazilian striker Ronaldo.
- He is also a multilingual player; he is fluent in French, English, Italian, and Spanish in addition to his mother tongue. One Football
- Christiano Ronaldo made headlines when he removed a bottle of cold drink from his table. Well, Paul went the same way and pulled out a bottle of beer during the Euro 2020 press conference. Daily Sabah
France midfielder Paul Pogba, a practicing Muslim, removes bottle of Heineken beer placed in front of him at Euro 2020 press conferencepic.twitter.com/Nnv0HRT53Z https://t.co/MJO5ACQxvS
— DAILY SABAH (@DailySabah) June 16, 2021
- Paul Pogba has worn the world’s first pair of vegan football boots after the Manchester United star teamed up with Stella McCartney to design the eye-catching, gender-neutral Adidas PREDATOR FREAK. Daily Mail
- In the 1–1 draw against Southampton on 31 August, Pogba suffered an ankle injury that sidelined him for a month. After a long absence, he returned to the team to win a penalty shootout against Rochdale. In his 100th appearance for the club, Pogba suffered a recurrence of his injury as well as a recurrence of his injury in the following match, a 1–1 home draw against Arsenal. At the end of October, news broke that he would be sidelined until December 2019 due to his injury. However, his return was delayed by illness in December 2019. The Frenchman, out since August with the same injury, made two substitute appearances at the end of December against Watford and Newcastle United. In January 2020, Pogba underwent ankle surgery which meant he was out of action for another four to eight weeks. Pogba was declared fit to play following his return to football in the Project Restart when Ole Gunnar Solskjœr was announced in May 2020.