Nam Joo-hyuk is a South Korean actor and model who is known for his performance in the K-dramas ‘Who Are You: School 2015’ (2015), ‘Weightlifting Fairy Kim Bok-joo’ (2016), ‘The Bride of Habaek’ (2017), and ‘The Light in Your Eyes’ (2019).
Nam Joo-hyuk was born on Tuesday, February 22, 1994 (age 26 years; as of 2020), in Dongsam-dong, Yeongdo District, Busan, South Korea.
He did his elementary schooling from Sangri Elementary School. Then, Joo-hyuk went to Kyungham Middle School, Busan. In the mid of his middle schooling, he shifted with his family to Suwon, Gyeonggi Province of South Korea, where he completed his middle school from Changyong Middle School in Suwon. He graduated his high school from Suil High School, Suwon. Nam Joo-hyuk attained his bachelor’s in Model Acting Art from Seoul Hoseo Art Occupational Training College.
Hair Color: Black
Eye Color: Black
Family, Ethnicity & Relationships
Not much is known about his family.
In 2016, he came into a relationship with the actress Lee Sung-kyung, after the shooting of ‘Weightlifting Fairy Kim Bok Joo’ finished. The couple became famous as ‘Weightlifting Fairy Kim Bok Joo couple.’ However, they both broke up after a few months of dating due to their busy schedules.
- Management SOOP (March 2020-Present)
- YG KPLUS (February 2014- February 2020)
- K-Plus (2013-14)
After coming to Seoul, Nam Joo-hyuk participated in the contest ‘Top Model,’ which was sponsored by the modeling agency ‘K-Plus’ and won it. As a reward of the contest, he was immediately signed as an exclusive model of K-Plus. In 2013, through K-Plus, he made his debut at the fashion event ‘Songzio Homme 2014 s/s Collection.’
Joo-hyuk became a part of YG Entertainment when YG Entertainment and K-Plus signed an alliance contract in 2014. He has modeled for brands such as Hyundai, SoCar, Nongshim, Le Coq Sportif, and Aveda Korea. In November 2017, Joo-hyuk signed as a new model and brand ambassador of Penshoppe, a clothing brand based in the Philippines.
On April 17, 2019, Dior Men announced Nam Joo-hyuk as their brand ambassador in Asia.
Nam Joo-hyuk made an appearance in the music video of ‘200%’ and ‘Give Love’ from the debut album of the South Korean duo Akdong Musician.
Later in August 2014, he made his acting debut with the K-drama ‘The Idle Mermaid/Surplus Princess’ in the supporting role of ‘Park De-bak.’
He rose to fame after he appeared in the 2015 teen K-drama ‘Who Are You: School 2015’ in the lead role of ‘Han Yi-yan.’
Joo-hyuk has acted in many popular k-dramas including Moon Lovers: Scarlet Heart Ryeo (2016), Weightlifting Fairy Kim Bok-joo (2016), The Bride of Habaek (2017), The Light in Your Eyes (2019), The School Nurse Files (2020), and Start-Up (2020). In 2018, he made his film debut with South Korean historical epic action ‘The Great Battle’ (2018) in the role of ‘Sa-mool.’
He has also made appearances in the South Korean films Josee (2020) and Remember (2020).
Awards & Achievements
Awards Won for the film ‘The Great Battle’
- KOFRA Film Awards for Best New Actor in 2019
- The Seoul Award for Best New Actor in 2018
- Marie Claire Asia Star Awards – Rising Star Award in 2018
- Korean Association of Film Critics Awards for Best New Actor in 2018
- Blue Dragon Film Award for Best New Actor in 2018
- Drama Fever Award for Breakout Actor for the K-drama ‘Cheese in the Trap’ in 2017
- MBC Drama Award for Best New Actor for the K-drama ‘Weightlifting Fairy Kim Bok-joo’ in 2016
- KBS Drama Award for Popular Actor (Male) for the K-drama ‘Who Are You: School 2015’ in 2015
- Soompi Award for Breakout Actor for the K-drama ‘Who Are You: School 2015’ in 2015
- APAN Star Award for Best New Actor for the K-drama ‘Who Are You: School 2015’ in 2015
- The 3rd CFDK Awards for Fashion Model of the Year (Male) in 2014
- Food: Tteok-bokki, Scallops, Pork Soup, Grilled Clams
- Drink: Pocari Sweat
- Fruit(s): Strawberry, Peaches, Apples, Grapes
- Singer(s): Kurt Cobain, Damien Rice
- Song: Missing You by Lee Hi
- Basketball Player(s): Stephen Curry, Kobe Bryant, Paul George
- Color: Blue
- In his leisure time, he likes traveling, swimming, boxing, playing basketball, listening to music, and watching films and television.
- Nam Joo-hyuk loves dogs and has two pet dogs; his dogs are named ‘Gob Son’ and ‘Ga Eul.’
- His name ‘Joo-hyuk’ was given to him by his grandfather. His name means ‘shiny pillar.’
- While in Busan, he dreamt of becoming a professional basketball player. For three years, he played basketball but left it during his middle 3 (of middle school) after he sustained a shin bone injury and had to go through an operation. He was on medical leave 2-3 months before and after his surgery, which made him unable to play basketball anymore. Joo-hyuk still plays basketball but as a hobby.
- During his high school years, he came across various magazines and saw the models Kim Won-joong, Ahn Jae-hyun (now an actor), and Jang Ki-yong (now an actor) and became interested in modeling. He decided to give modeling a shot as he considered it to be cool and began practicing modeling from that time.
- Nam Joo-hyuk has made appearances in the variety shows such as Off to School (2014-15), Three Meals a Day: Gochang Village (2016), Cofee Friends (2019), and Three Meals a Day: Mountain Village (2019).
- Joo-hyuk was also seen in the music videos of ‘Chocolate’ by Kangnam featuring Sang E and ‘When it Snows’ by musical duo 1415.
- On April 6, 2019, Joo-hyuk made a donation of about 30 Million Won (around $26,233) to the Hope Bridge Association of the National Disaster Relief for the victims of the Gangwon Province wildfire of 2019 in South Korea.
- South Korean actor Ji Soo and Nam Joo-hyuk are best friends and are often seen hanging out together.