Matthias Schweighöfer is a German actor, singer, music composer, voice actor, and film director and producer. He is known for his acting performances in the German films The Red Baron (2008), The Manny (2015), and Hot Dog (2018), and American films Valkyrie (2008) and Army of the Dead (2021).
Matthias Schweighöfer was born on Wednesday, March 11, 1981 (age 40 years; as of 2021), in Anklam, Western Pomerania, Mecklenburg-Vorpommern, Germany. After his parents got divorced in 1984, he moved with his mother to Frankfurt and later to Chemnitz; he was three years old at the time of divorce. At the same time, he spent weekends with his father in Berlin. He did his high school graduation at Dr.-Wilhelm-André Gymnasium, a gymnasium school in Chemnitz, Germany. To study acting, he went to Ernst Busch Academy of Dramatic Arts in Berlin but abandoned the course after a year. Der Tagesspiegel
IMDb Height: 5′ 10¾”
Hair Colour: Blonde
Eye Color: Blue
Family & Ethnicity
Parents & Siblings
His mother’s name is Gitta Schweighöfer and his father’s name is Michael Schweighöfer; both his parents are actors by profession. He is the only child of his parents.
Relationships, Wife & Children
From 2004 to 2012, he dated the German film writer and director Angelika Ani Schromm. After separating in 2012, they got back together in the summer of 2013. Angelika and Matthias have a daughter named Greta (born in 2009) and a son named Valentin (born in 2014). In January 2019, Matthias announced his separation from Schromm.
Soon, he announced that he was in a relationship with the Costa Rican actress Ruby O. Fee.
His grandfather, Willy Schweighöfer, was a stage actor. His uncles, Joachim Schweighöfer and Götz Schweighöfer, are also former actors.
In 1994, he made his acting debut in an uncredited role in the German TV series ‘Ärzte’ in the episode ‘Dr. Vogt – Freundschaften.’
He made appearances in minor roles in the German TV series such as Dr. Stefan Frank – Der Arzt, dem die Frauen vertrauen (1999), Siska (1998-1999), Polizeiruf 110 (2001), and Tatort (2001-10). In 1997, he made his television film debut with the German film ‘Changing Skins’ in an uncredited role.
In 2000, he appeared in his first lead role in a TV movie as ‘Ben’ in ‘Verbotenes Verlangen – Ich liebe meinen Schüler.’
In 2017, he bagged his first lead role as ‘Lukas Franke’ in the German TV series ‘You Are Wanted.’
He played lead roles in German TV movies Küss mich, Frosch (2000), Babykram ist Männersache (2001), Friends of Friends (2002), The Young Schiller (2005), and Mein Leben – Marcel Reich-Ranicki (2009).
In 2000, he made his feature film debut with the German film ‘Trust Me’ in which he portrayed ‘Speedy.’
In 2001, he appeared in his first lead role as ‘Jan Quinn’ in the German film ‘Mein Vater, die Tunte.’
He then made appearances in lead roles in the German films Soloalbum (2003), Polly Blue Eyes (2005), Rabbit Without Ears (2007), The Red Baron (2008), and The Architect (2008). Some of his other major German films in starring roles are 2 Paces Without a Head (2009), Friendship! (2010), Russendisko (2012), Frau Ella (2013), The Manny (2015), and Hot Dog (2018). In 2008, he made his American film debut as ‘Lieutenant Herber’ in ‘Valkyrie.’ Not only did his performance in ‘Valkyrie’ earned him worldwide recognition but also opened opportunities for more English-speaking roles.
In 2009, his first main role in an American film was with ‘Night Train’ as ‘Frankie.’
He acted in the American films Must Love Death (2009), The Wild Life (2016), Resistance (2020), and Army of the Dead (2021).
As a Producer
In 2011, he founded the production company ‘Pantaleon Films’ headquartered in Munich. The company has two more offices in Berlin and Cologne. Most of his films are produced under the Pantaleon Films banner.
In 2011, he debuted as a producer with the German film ‘What a Man.’
He produced German films like The Break Up Man (2013), The Manny (2015), The Most Beautiful Day (2016), Hot Dog (2018), Abikalypse (2019), and Takeover (2020). In 2016, he made his television debut as a producer with the German TV film ‘Jack the Ripper.’
As a producer, he produced the German telefilm Rockstars zähmt man nicht (2017) and the German TV series You Are Wanted (2017-18). His debut as a producer with the American film was with ‘Resistance’ (2020).
In 2021, he produced the American film Army of the Dead: The Prequel.
As a Singer & Composer
He sang the songs in his films like Polizeiruf 110: Destroyed Dreams (2001), Frau Ella (2013), and You Are Wanted (2017). In 2015, his first single ‘Fliegen’ was released; the single was used in his film ‘The Manny’ and was charted number 58 in the German single charts.
In 2017, he released his first album ‘Lachen Weinen Tanzen,’ which was placed at number five in German charts, number six in Austria charts, and number nineteen in Switzerland charts.
On February 18, 2017, his first album concert was held at Tempodrom in Berlin. In 2020, he released his second album ‘Hobby,’ which charted tenth in the German album charts.
Some of the popular songs sung by him include Lachen Weinen Tanzen (2015), Superman und seine Frau (2018), Wenn ich dich singen hör (2018), Zeit (2020), and Lauf (2020). In 2017, he debuted as a music composer with the film ‘You Are Wanted’ (2017) in which he composed the tracks Trust, X-Ray, and Blackout.
As a Director & Writer
In 2011, he made his directorial and writing debut with the German film ‘What a Man.’ He directed German films like The Break Up Man (2013), Vaterfreuden (2014), The Manny (2015), and You Are Wanted (2017). In 2021, he made his directorial debut in an American film with ‘Army of the Dead: The Prequel.’ He screen wrote the German films Vaterfreuden (2014) and The Manny (2015). His directorial debut in Netherland was with the film ‘Voor elkaar gemaakt’ (2017).
He made appearances in the music videos of Kreuzberg (2007) by Bloc Party, Ich bereue nichts (2009) by Silbermond, Eiserner Steg (2011) by Philipp Poisel, Hurt Lovers (2013) by Blue, and Standort (2020) by MoTrip.
He also performed in stage plays like Eins, Zwei, Drei (2004) and Nord (2007). He narrated the audiobooks such as The Lewins (2004) by Gita Lehr, Baal (2005) by Bertolt Brecht, Der Schatten des Windes (2006) Carlos Ruiz Zafón, Schöne Verhältnisse (2007) by Edward St Aubyn, and Die Traumnovelle (2008) by Arthur Schnitzler. In 2009, he debuted in the fashion industry when he launched his label ‘German Garment’ with German TV presenter Joko Winterscheidt.
In 2014, Matthias was announced as the brand ambassador of the alcohol-brewing and beverage brand Krombacher Hell.
In May 2016, he made an appearance in an advertisement campaign for Amazon Fire TV Stick, and in later advertisements for the campaign, he appeared alongside Katrin Bauerfeind.
He has been the brand ambassador of the Austrian furniture chain XXXLutz since 2020.
Awards & Achievements
- Film – National for ‘Schlussmacher’ in 2013
- Best Actor – National for the film ‘Das wilde Leben’ in 2007
Golden Hen Award, Germany
- Audience Award for Acting for the film ‘Der geilste Tag’ in 2016
- Audience Award for Acting for the film ‘Russendisko’ in 2012
Golden Camera Award, Germany
- Best German Actor for the film ‘Mein Leben – Marcel Reich-Ranicki’ in 2010
- Curt Jürgens Memorial Camera in 2003
- Most Successful Feature Film for ‘Vaterfreuden’ in 2015
- Best German Film for ‘What a Man’ in 2012
- Best German TV Actor for ‘Mein Leben – Marcel Reich-Ranicki’ in 2010
Undine Award, Austria
- Best Young Actor – Film (Bester jugendlicher Hauptdarsteller in einem Kinospielfilm) for ‘Das wilde Leben’ in 2007
- Best Young Actor – Television Movie (Bester jugendlicher Schauspieler in einem Fernsehfilm) for ‘Schiller’ in 2005
Hessian TV Award
- Special Jury Prize for ‘What a Man’ in 2011
- Best Actor (Bester Darsteller) for ‘Tatort’ in 2010
- GQ Man of the Year – Film National in 2017
- MUSIKEXPRESS Style Award – Gentleman of the Year in 2015
- Romy Gala, Austria for Best Film (Bester Film) for ‘Schlussmacher’ in 2013
- Berlin Bear (BZ Culture Prize) – Film/Director in 2013
- Lola – German Film Award – People Choice in 2013
- Video champion – Artist Award in 2010
- German Television Award – Promotional Award for ‘Verbotenes Verlangen – Ich liebe meinen Schüler’ in 2009
- DIVA Award for the films Actor of the Year for ‘Ventricular Fibrillation,’ ‘Schiller,’ and ‘Polly Blue Eyes’ in 2006
- Bavarian Film Award for Best Young Actor (Darstellernachwuchspreis) for ‘Kammerflimmern’ in 2005
- Baden-Baden TV Film Festival for Special prize of the jury for outstanding performance in ‘Kalter Frühling’ and ‘Baal’ in 2004
- New Faces Award, Germany for Best Actor for ‘Soloalbum’ in 2003
- Grimme Award – Adolf Grimme Award for Fiction/Entertainment for ‘Die Freunde der Freunde’ in 2003
- Günter Strack TV Award for Best Young Actor for ‘Tatort’ in 2002
- Food: Pizza, Pasta
- Alcoholic Beverage: Rosé
- Beverage(s): Latte macchiato, Coffee
- Actor(s): Al Pacino, Johnny Depp
- Film Director(s): Zack Snyder, Steven Spielberg, Martin Scorsese
- Playwright: Max Frisch
- Musician(s): Jonas David, Fayzen, Nisse
- Clothing Brand: CAMP DAVID
- Travel Destination(s): Miami, Los Angeles
As of 2021, Matthias Schweighöfer’s estimated net worth is $17.61 million. Vermoegen Magazin
- In his leisure time, he likes writing poems and listening to music while driving. Being a sports fanatic, he also finds joy in running and swimming in his free time.
- In an interview, he confessed to being more of a cat person but owns a pet dog named Bowie.
- His family members and close friends fondly call him Matthi. IMDb Several media channels and his fans address him as Schweigi, Matze, and The Justin Timberlake of Germany. Laut Square Mile
- Since childhood, he has shown a great interest in music and can play instruments such as piano, guitar, and violin.
- He is an aviophobic, having fear of flying. Due to his phobia, he travels by driving within Germany, and if he has to fly outside Germany, he takes therapy sessions before boarding his plane.
- He is a polyglot, fluent in German, English, and French.
- When he was three years old, his parents, both actors, introduced him to the stage. During his school days, he played ‘Mackie Messer’ in his school’s production of ‘The Threepenny Opera’ by Bertolt Brecht; it was his first stage appearance.
- In 2009, he began living with his former girlfriend at a Vierseithof (four-sided courtyard) in the Nauen town of the Brandenburg state of Germany.
- Since 2011, he has been a huge supporter and donor at Berlin’s Ronald McDonald House Charities, which is working to design, find, and support programs to improve the health and well-being of children. In his statement for the charity, published on the charity’s web portal, he wrote,
Anyone who has children of their own can imagine how much they need help when their own child becomes seriously ill. The Ronald McDonald Houses make a very important contribution: They are a temporary home for parents in the immediate vicinity of the clinic – so the relatives can be very close to their little patients. As a father, I know how important this closeness is for children in order to get well again quickly. That is why it was immediately clear to me to get involved in the Ronald McDonald Haus Berlin-Buch.”
- On January 30, 2012, Matthias unveiled his wax figure at Madame Tussauds in Berlin. Matthias’ wax figure took six months and fifteen workers for its construction.
- Matthias and Andreas Nowak, the drummer for one of Germany’s most successful Rock-Pop-Act group ‘Silbermond, are best friends. Andreas Nowak is the godfather of Matthias’ daughter, Greta.
- According to Matthias, after gaining success in his career, he suffered from stress and depression. To counter it, he began studying the Japanese way of life, which helped him improve his life. Talking about it in an interview, he said,
I started studying the Japanese way of life because I was fed up with running. And that helped me to realize: quiet is something very beautiful. Exposing yourself to it and seeing what actually happens to you when you go into peace and solitude is very interesting.”
- Matthias consumes alcohol, but rarely. Two of his most favorite alcoholic beverages are beer and wine. Db Mobil
References [ + ]