Kate Beckinsale is an English actress and model who works in American and British films and television. She is known for her performance in the British films: Prince of Jutland (1994), Cold Comfort Farm (1995), Emma (1996), and The Golden Bowl (2000), and American films: Pearl Harbor (2001), Tiptoes (2003), The Aviator (2004), Click (2006) Underworld film series (2003–2016), Van Helsing (2004), Whiteout (2009), Contraband (2012), and Total Recall (2012).
Kate Romary Beckinsale was born on Thursday, July 26, 1973 (age 47 years; as in 2020), in Chiswick, London.
She attended from Godolphin and Latymer School in London. During her school days, she took acting lessons at Orange Tree Youth Theatre, Richmond, South-West London. She enrolled at New College, Oxford, to gain her Bachelor’s degree in French and Russian Literature. She spent the third year of her graduation in Paris as she was required to do so as a student of modern languages. During her graduation years, she was a part of the Oxford University Dramatic Society; she directed the play ‘A View from the Bridge’ with the British-Australian film and television director Tom Hooper. In 2003, she immigrated to Los Angeles, shortly after coming into a relationship with Len Wiseman.
Height IMDb: 5′ 7″
Hair Color: Brown (dyed Blonde)
Eye Color: Hazel
Family & Ethnicity
She is of Burmese and English origin (her great grandfather was a Burmese). Web Archive – Richard Beckinsale
Parents & Siblings
Kate Beckinsale’s father, Richard Beckinsale was an English actor. He died of a heart attack when she was five years old. Her mother, Judy Loe is a former actress.
British actress Samantha Beckinsale is her paternal half-sister.
When she was nine years old, her mother moved in with British television director Roy Battersby, and soon, they got married.
She grew up with Roy’s four sons and a daughter. The English actor David Bradley is her godfather.
Relationships, Husband & Children
In 1995, she came in a relationship with the Welsh actor, and political activist Michael Sheen. Michael and Kate met during the production of the play ‘The Seagull’ in 1995, and shortly, they started living together.
In 1999, Kate and Michael were blessed with a daughter, who was named Lily.
In 2003, Michael and Kate broke up, but they remained close friends. In an interview in 2016, talking about Michael, she said,
He’s really dear, close family. He’s somebody I’ve known since I was 21 years old. I really love him a lot.”
In 2003, she met the American filmmaker Len Wisemen during the shooting of the film ‘Underworld.’ Soon, Kate moved in with Len, and they got married on May 9, 2004, in Bel-Air, California. In 2015, they both announced their separation. In 2016, Len filed for a divorce, and their divorce was finalized in 2019.
In January 2019, she began dating the American comedian, actor, writer, and producer Pete Davidson, and by April 2019, they had split up.
She has also dated the comedians: Matt Rife and Jack Whitehall.
In early 2020, Kate and Goody Grace (musical artist) made their relationship public; they are often seen hanging out together.
At the age of two, she made her television debut in the series Couples (1975) and portrayed the role of a ‘Child.’ At the age of four, she was seen in the British Television series ‘This Is Your Life.’ In 1991, she appeared in the television series ‘Devices and Desires’ in the role of ‘Young Alice Mair.’
She has also acted in television shows such as Rachel’s Dream (1992; TV short), Anna Lee: Headcase (1993), Emma (1996), Alice Through the Looking Glass (1997), and The Widow (2019).
In 1993, she made her British film debut in ‘Much Ado About Nothing’ as ‘Hero.’
While pursuing her graduation, she acted in the films: Prince of Jutland (1994), Uncovered (1994), and Cold Comfort Farm (1995). While studying in Paris, she acted in the French film ‘Marie-Louise ou la Permission’ (1995) and played the role of ‘Marie-Louise.’
She has acted in the British films: Haunted (1995), Emma (1996; TV movie), Shooting Fish (1997), Alice Through the Looking Glass (1998), The Golden Bowl (2000), Underworld (2003), The Face of an Angel (2014), Absolutely Anything (2015), and Farming (2018). She made American film debut with ‘The Last Days of Disco’ in the role of ‘Charlotte Pingress’ in 1998.
She has also acted in the American films: Brokedown Palace (1999), Pearl Harbour (2001), Serendipity (2001), Laurel Canyon (2002), Tiptoes (2003), Van Helsing (2004), The Aviator (2004), Click (2006), Vacancy (2007), Nothing But Truth (2008), Whiteout (2009), Total Recall (2012), The Trials of Cate McCall (2013), Stonehearst Asylum (2014), The Disappointments Rooms (2016), The Only Living Boy in New York (2017), Jolt (2020), and El Tonto (2020).
Theatre & Radio
She made her professional stage debut with the play ‘The Seagull’ in the role of ‘Nina’ at the Theatre Royal, Bath, in 1995. She acted in two more plays in 1996: Sweetheart at The Royal Court Theatre and Clocks and Whistles at The Bush Theater. She has narrated the audiobooks: Emma (1997) for Hodder & Stoughton AudioBooks, The Proposal (1997) by BBC Radio 4, and Romeo & Juliet (as Juliet Capulet; 1997) for Naxos Audiobooks.
Modeling & Video Games
She has worked as a model occasionally. In 1997, she made an appearance in the music video of ‘Waltz Away Dreaming’ by George Michael.
She has also worked in the advertisements for brands such as Gap, Diet Coke, and Absolut Vodka.
She also appeared in the Japanese advertisements for Lux hair products. She has lent her voice to the characters of video games: Underworld: The Eternal War (2004; as Selene), Van Helsing (2004; as Anna Valerious), and The Elder Scroll Online (2014; as Queen Ayernn).
Awards & Achievements
London Critics’ Circle Film Awards
- British Supporting Actress of the Year (tied with Minnie Driver) for the film ‘Last Days of Disco’ in 1999
- British Actress of the Year for the film ‘Love & Friendship’ in 2017
- Evening Standard British Film Awards for Best Actress for the film ‘Love & Friendship’ in 2017
- Cinema Vanguard Award at the San Diego Film Festival in 2016
- Spike Guys Choice Awards – Jean-Claude Gahd Dam for the film ‘Underworld: Awakening’ in 2012
- Costume Designers Guild Awards – Lacoste Spotlight Award in 2012
- Golden Schmoes Awards for Best T&A of the Year for the film ‘Underworld: Evolution’ in 2006
- Scream Award for Scream Queen ‘Underworld: Evolution’ in 2006
- Best Actress for the film ‘Shooting Fish’ at Sitges – Catalan International Film Festival in 1997
- In 2018, she was subjected to massive criticism on social media after she posted the results of her “Hollywood EGF Facial,” a treatment offered by the Georgia Louise Atelier in New York City. The treatment is dubbed as “penis facial” due to its serum, which is derived from the newborn-baby foreskin. Insider
- In 2016, a man named Terry Lee Repp threatened to stab Kate after making physical contact at an event held at Salt Lake City, Utah. Terry kept on harassing her by following her at various events that she used to attend. Terry was finally arrested at Tampa Bay Comic Con for stalking the actress in 2017 and was booked on a $500 bond. Deccan Chronicle
- In June 2009, Daily Express wrote an article on Kate alleging that she was feeling miserable to miss out on her dream role after she failed to make it to play the lead in a remake of Barbarella, the 1968 film that starred Jane Fonda. Following this, Kate filed a case against Daily Express at the London High Court over false allegations by the newspaper. Later, Daily Express had to pay a penalty of £20,000 ($26082.40) for the harm and embarrassment caused to Kate. The Guardian
- In 2007, she was accused of being insensitive and was criticized by the public for linking anorexic girls to ‘crack whores’ in an interview. She had said, Daily Mail
I believe anorexia, alcoholism and drug abuse in teens are more about what is happening in the home than a problem with images in the media. “It is the nice girl’s way of becoming a crack whore.”
- In July 2003, Kate filed a complaint at Press Complaints Commission against the Daily Mail for invading her and her daughter’s privacy. In photographs published by Daily Mail, Kate was seen embracing and kissing her then-new boyfriend Len Wiseman, and her daughter appeared to be ignoring her mother’s actions. The headline of the article read ‘Mummy’s latest love scene leaves Lily unimpressed.’ However, the commission dismissed her complaints citing ‘the photographs were in a public place and did not reveal any private details about Lily, such as her health or schooling.’ The Guardian
- In March 2003, Daily Mail released an article headlined ‘The real reason why Kate is single again,’ which contained incorrect information about Kate. The article also stated that Kate had spent time in a clinic. In August 2003, Daily Mail, in their page 17, published an official apology following the complaint brought by Kate to the Press Complaints Commission. Daily Mai wrote, The Guardian
We now understand that the claims we made were incorrect and we apologize to Kate for the distress and embarrassment she has been caused”
Kate Beckinsale’s net worth as of 2020 is $16 million. The Things
She owns a house in Brentwood on the westside of Los Angeles, California, where she lives with her family.
- Food: Maids of honor tart
- Restaurant(s): Theobroma Cacao in Turnham Green Terrace, London, Bedlington Café in Chiswick
- Actress(s): Jeanne Moreau, Meryl Streep, Bette Davis
- Director(s): Martin Scorsese, Ridley Scott, Oliver Stone, David Gordon Green
- Film(s): Au Revoir les Enfants (1987), All About Eve (1950), The Rocky Horror Picture Show (1975), Entre les Murs (2008)
- Public Landmark(s): Natural History Museum in London, Royal Botanic Gardens, Kew in Richmond, Bodleian Library in Oxford
- Departmental Store(s): Harrods in London, Marks & Spencer, Selfridges London, Rellik London
- In her leisure time, she likes reading books, walking, exercising, doing yoga, and listening to music.
- Her father died when she was just five years old. According to her, it was a very baffling and difficult time for her. Kate said,
I used to get him confused with God and John Lennon because Lennon died a couple of years after he did and I kind of got the whole thing a bit muddled.”
- In her school days, she was friends with Kirsty Kinnear, British Character actor Roy Kinnear’s daughter.
- In her childhood, she helped her family to sell The News Line, a Trotskyist newspaper. Her stepfather did a documentary called ‘The Palestinian’ (1977) with the actress Vanessa Redgrave, after which, his family had their phones tapped as Roy was blacklisted by the BBC.
- In her high school, Kate excelled at languages and English literature and was twice the winner of the WH Smith Young Writers Award for both fiction and poetry.
- At the age of fifteen, she decided to become an actress. Talking about it, she said,
I remember falling in love with French cinema when I was 15 years old. I went to Paris with my family every year for Easter and we used to go to the little cinemas around Saint-Michel to see classics like Les 400 Coups (The 400 Blows). That’s when I decided I wanted to be an actress. I have to say that I grew up immersed in film.”
- At the age of fifteen, she faced nervous breakdown and developed anorexia, an eating disorder, which resulted in her undergoing Freudian psychoanalysis for four years.
- She doesn’t drink but she is a smoker. She became a smoker after she was introduced to cigarettes by her stepbrother after she moved to her stepfather’s home.Telegraph According to Kate,
I’ve never been drunk even. I’ve never taken drugs. I’ve never had a one-night-stand”
- Ever since her father (who had a congenital heart defect) died of a massive heart attack, she has been donating to The British Heart Foundation, a charity organization in the United Kingdom.
- From November 2007 to February 2008, screenwriters of the American labor unions Writers Guild of America (WGA), both east and west, went on strike and demanded increased funding for the writers in comparison to the profits of the larger studios. The strike was targeted at the Alliance of Motion Picture & Television Producers. In support of WGA, many A-list celebrities including Kate contributed by appearing in Internet videos of WGA’s campaign ‘Speechless’ conceived by the American filmmakers- George Hickenlooper and Alan Sereboff.
- In 2008, she hosted the 4th Annual Pink Party to help and raise funds for the Women’s Cancer Research Institute at Cedars-Sinai Medical Center. She also organized a screening of ‘All About Eve’ for FilmAid International.
- In 2012, she was featured in ‘Republicans, Get in My Vagina,’ a video by Funny or Die alongside Judy Greer and Andrea Savage. The video is a satire of the Republican Party’s policies relating to abortion and prenatal care.
- She has also donated film memorabilia (objects, such as costumes, props, advertising posters, and scripts, among other things, which are considered of value because of their connection to the cinema) to the Epidermolysis Bullosa Medical Research Foundation, MediCinema, Habitat For Humanity, and the Entertainment Industry Foundation.
- Kate volunteered for ‘Nestlé Share the Joy of Reading Program’ held at Barnes & Noble bookstore at The Grove (a shopping mall in Los Angeles) in 2012, to raise awareness about the importance of literacy.
- She is an avid animal lover and has many pet dogs and cats; one of her cats is named Clive. Kate Beckinsale’s Pets.
References [ + ]