Jonathan Bailey is a British actor known for his roles in the British TV series, Leonardo (2011) as ‘Leonardo da Vinci,’ Broadchurch (2013) as ‘Olly Stevens,’ Doctor Who (2014) as ‘Psi,’ W1A (2014-17) as ‘Jack Patterson,’ and Crashing (2016) as “Sam.’ He is also famous for his lead role in the plays, King Lear, and Company.
Jonathan Bailey was born on Monday, April 25, 1988 (age 32 years; as in 2020), in Benton, Oxfordshire, England. He attended the local C of E Primary School in Benton.
Hair Color: Brown (dyed Blond)
Eye Color: Brown
Family & Ethnicity
Jonathan’s father, Stuart Bailey is a former DJ and also worked at Rowse Honey Factory. His mother was an audiologist. Jonathan has three elder sisters.
Jonathan began acting at a very young age; when he was seven years old, he acted in ‘A Christmas Carol’ at the Barbican Centre in London. In 1997, he appeared in the role of ‘Gavroche’ in the play Les Miserables. He has acted in many musicals and plays, such as King John (2003), Beautiful Thing (2006), Girl with a Pearl Earring (2008), South Downs (2011), Othello (2013), King Lear (2017), and Company (2018-19).
Films & Television
In 2004, Jonathan made his film debut in the role of ‘Cyril’ in the film, 5 Children and It (2004).
He has acted in many British films, such as Elizabeth: The Golden Age (2007), Permanent Vacation (2009), Testament for Youth (2014), and The Mercy (2018). He made his American film debut with The Young Messiah (2016) as ‘Herod.’
In 1997, he made his TV debut with the BBC series, Bright Hair in the role of ‘Ben Devilish.’
He has acted in many British TV series, like Baddiel’s Syndrome (2001), Doctors (2007), Campus (2011), Leonardo (2011), Me and Mrs. Jones (2012), Broadchurch (2013), Doctor Who (2014), W1A (2014-17), Hooten & the Lady (2016), Crashing (2016), and Chewing Gum (2017). In 2018, he made his web debut with the Amazon Prime American series, Jack Ryan in the role of ‘Lance Miller.’
In 2020, he was cast in the role of ‘Anthony Bridgerton’ in the Netflix series, Bridgerton.
Jonathan has given his voice to many radio programs, such as The Forsytes (2016), Deliverers (2016), Just One Damned Thing After Another (2017), and Home Front (2018). He has also given voice-overs to the video games, Everybody’s Gone to the Rapture (2015), Squadron 42 (2017), Final Fantasy XIV: Stormblood (2018), and Final Fantasy XIV: Shadowbringers (2019).
- Musicals: Oliver! by Lionel Bart, Matilda the Musical by Dennis Kelly
- Playwrights: David Hare, Duncan Macmillan, Simon Stephens, April De Angelis
- Plays: After the Dance by Terence Rattigan, Lungs by Duncan Macmillan, Light Out of Darkness by Jamie Wellerstein
- Travel Destinations: Tanzania, Morocco, Cape Town
- Books: Regeneration by Pat Barker
- In his leisure time, Jonathan likes to do bartering, reading, traveling, and trekking.
- Jonathan is a cynophile and has a dog, ‘Blumin.’
- When he was a child, he saw the play, Oliver! with his Nana, and was inspired to make his career in acting.
- When Jonathan was eleven years old, he was a ballet dancer.
- In 2019, he received Olivier Award for Best Actor in a Supporting Role in a Musical for his performance in Company at Gielgud Theatre.
- According to Jonathan, he would have liked to be a musician or a pilot, if he had not made his career in acting.