JoJo Siwa is an American dancer, singer, actress, and YouTuber who became famous after she participated in two seasons of the American dance reality show ‘Dance Moms’ (2015-16). She is best known for wearing large and colorful bows in her hair.
Jojo Siwa was born on Monday, May 19, 2003 (age 17 years; as in 2020), Omaha, Nebraska, US, as ‘Joelle Joanie Siwa.’
From a very young age, JoJo started dancing at her mother’s dance studio.
Washington Post Height: 5’ 9”
Hair Color: Blonde (also dyed Brown)
Eye Color: Blue
Family, Ethnicity & Relationships
Parents & Siblings
She was born to Jessalynn Siwa, an American actress and dance instructor from Lowa, and Dr. Tom Siwa, a chiropractor from Nebraska. Her elder brother, Jayden Siwa, is a vlogger.
She was once rumored to be dating the American football player, Elliott Brown.
She is in a relationship with Mark Bontempo, the brother of the social media influencer and actress, Madison Bontempo.
JoJo contested the dance reality show Abby’s Ultimate Dance Competition in 2013. She was one of the top-5 finalists in the show.
In 2015-16, JoJo and her mother, Jessalynn, participated in the season 5 and 6 of the TV Show, ‘Dance Moms.’
She has made an appearance as a guest in many television shows like Good day L.A. (2015), Make It Pop (2016), and All That (2019). She has also appeared in the reality shows, Keeping Up with the Kadarshians (2019) in the episode ‘Three’s Company,’ The Substitute (2020), The Masked Singers (2020), and Celebrity Watch Party (2020).
Nickelodeon and YouTube
In 2017, she signed with Nickelodeon, which began to handle her music, acting, and YouTube career. In 2017, she hosted the American musical reality show, ‘Lip Synch Battle Shorties.’ In the show, celebrities compete with each other with lip sync performances.
In 2018, she made her acting debut with the American film ‘Blurt!’ in the role of ‘Victoria Martin.’
She made her debut as a dubbing artist with the American animated show ‘Middle School Moguls’ (2019) in which she voiced the character of ‘Josie.’
In 2020, Nickelodeon released her first animated web series ‘Jojo & BoBow Show Show’ on their YouTube channel.
In February 2015, she started her YouTube channel, ‘Its JoJo Siwa.’ The video titled ‘Q & A with JoJo Siwa’ was the first video posted on her channel.
She has more than 11.8 million people subscribed to her channel.
As a Singer
In 2015, JoJo released her first single, ‘I Can Make U Dance.’
In 2016, JoJo’s first single with a music video ‘Boomerang’ was released.
JoJo has also released other singles like Kid in a Candy Store (2017), Hold the Drama (2017), Every Girl’s a Super Girl (2018), High Top Shoes (2018), Only Getting Better (2018), Bop! (2019), and Nonstop (2020). In 2018, she released her first extended play, ‘D.R.E.A.M: The Music.’
In 2019, she released her first extended play titled ‘Celebrate.’
As an Author
In 2017, she published her first book, ‘JoJo’s Guide to the Sweet Life: #PeaceOutHaterz.’
Other books by JoJo Siwa are: Things I Love: A Fill-In Friendship Book (2018), JoJo Loves BowBow: A Day in the Life of the World?s Cutest Canine (2018), JoJo’s Guide to Making Your Own Fun: #DoItYourself (2018), Take the Stage (JoJo and BowBow Book #1) (2018), Candy Kisses (JoJo and BowBow Book #2) (2019), and The Posh Puppy Pageant (JoJo and BowBow Book #3) (2019).
JoJo Siwa as a Brand
In 2016, JoJo Siwa launched a line of bows, which were sold at the fashion-accessory and toy company aimed at young, tween, and teen girls Claire’s.
Some other fashion accessories of JoJo Siwa that are sold at Claire’s are headband, bows, bags, phone cases, pens, watches. After Claire’s, she partnered with the American department store J. C. Penney and launched a line of accessories, bedroom decor, t-shirt, dresses, shoes, and JoJo dolls. She has also partnered with Walmart, which markets her brand’s toys, home, and beauty products. During a talk with the YouTuber James Charles, JoJo said that her brand was worth a billion dollars. Daily Mail
Awards & Achievements
- Reality Television Awards for Most Heartfelt Moment for the show ‘Dance Moms’ in 2016
- Industry Dance Awards for Dancers Choice Awards Favorite Dancer 17 & Under in 2016
Nickelodeon Kids’ Choice Awards
- Favorite Social Music Star in 2020
- Favorite Social Music Star in 2019
- Favorite Musical YouTube Creator in 2018
- Favorite Viral Music Artist in 2017
- In 2016, after the launch of her line of bows with Claire’s, primary school students in the United Kingdom began having a huge liking towards them. It was soon discovered by the school teachers that the bows were unaffordable for some children (as they were priced at approximately £8 ($10.40) to £12 ($15.60) each), and their peers (who could afford them) bullied them. Some schools even registered problems such as bows being a distraction to students, and that bows causing a violation of schools’ dress code policies. As a result, many schools in the United Kingdom banned her bows. The Telegraph
- In June 2019, FDA issued a warning about the dangerous levels of asbestos in her cosmetics kit, which landed her in controversy as Claire’s recalled her products. In response to the issue, JoJo posted a YouTube video, which has been deleted now. In the video, JoJo said, USA Today
Recently, it’s been brought to my attention that there’s been a problem with one of my products in Claire’s stores. I just want to let everyone know that no matter what, safety is myself and Nickelodeon’s number one priority in everything, in every product, and everything out there.”
- In December 2019, she posted a photo of her BMW sports car, which was painted to her liking (with glitter paint, shooting stars, and her face on the hood of the car). The car was a present for her on the occasion of Christmas. Singer-songwriter Justin Bieber commented ‘Burn It’ for three times on her post. After receiving the mean comments from Justin Bieber, her mother lashed out at Justin Bieber, saying him to burn his own things. Justing faced a huge backlash for his insensitivity, and soon, he apologized for his behavior and tweeted, Daily Mail
I have nothing against you it was the car and the colors I didn’t like. I really hope you didn’t think it was malicious or mean spirited.”
- In June 2020, she released the music video of her single ‘Nonstop.’ In the video, she was dressed as a ring leader, while the backup dancers were dressed as animals and circus performers. However, one of the dancers had her face painted black depicting a monkey. This became a controversy instantly as blackface is considered offensive in the entertainment industry. Talking about it, she said, USA Today
We’re talking about kids dressing up as circus animals! No one in my video is wearing blackface. It’s awful that anyone’s mind would even go there. Kids dressing in animal costumes, having their faces painted to look like animals, acting the part. There were zebras, tigers, dogs, clowns, mermaids, everything. I’ve addressed Black Lives Matter issues previously on my social media. I will say it again for the ones in the back, Black Lives Matter, today, tomorrow, yesterday. I’m on the right side of history here. Stop trying to make this about something it isn’t.”
- Singers: Freddie Mercury, Miley Cyrus, Meghan Trainor
- Song: Bohemian Rhapsody by Queen and The Muppets
- Band: Queen, Jonas Brothers
In December 2019, JoJo purchased a $3.4 million mansion in the upscale neighborhood of Tarzana in the suburban region of San Fernando Valley in Los Angeles. JoJo and her family live in the mansion. Variety
- Customized BMW 4 Series Convertible
- Customized Tesla Model X
- JoJo likes dancing, driving, and playing golf in her leisure time.
- She likes dogs and owns a pet dog, ‘Bow Bow.’
- She gave her first stage performance at the age of two in the song “Mama, I’m a Big Girl Now” from the musical ‘Hairspray.’
- In childhood, she wished to either become a surgeon or a popstar.
- In 2019, JoJo started her first major concert tour titled ‘D.R.E.A.M. The Tour.’ The tour began in Phoenix, Arizona on May 17, 2019, and came to an end in Vancouver, Canada on August 20, 2019. The venues of her tour ranged from theaters and outdoor amphitheaters to stadiums and indoor arenas in a total of 52 cities across the United States and Canada.
- She has named her fans ‘Siwanatorz.’
- In October 2019, she released a gaming app for girls called ‘JoJo Siwa-Live to Dance,’ which is available for both iOS and Android.
- She voiced the characters of ‘Jay’ and ‘Kira’ in the American animated film ‘The Angry Birds Movie 2’ (2019).
- She is an active philanthropist and shows her support to St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital during their Childhood Cancer Awareness Month campaign.
References [ + ]