Fin Argus is an American model, actor, singer-songwriter, and musician who gained massive popularity after appearing in the film ‘Clouds’ (2020) as Zach Sobiech.
Fin Argus was born as Steffan Argus Billboard on Tuesday, September 1, 1998 (age 22 years; as of 2020), in Des Plaines, Chicago.
He attended Maine West High School, Chicago. In 2009, he started learning the guitar from Paul Henry at a performing arts school in his neighborhood. Later, he also took vocal training from Elizabeth Gray at the same place. Fin Argus started playing numerous instruments at a very early age. In an interview, while talking about his passion for music, he said,
I picked up the Spanish guitar in third grade…Then the piano. Then the French horn. Then the cello. Then the ukulele, mandolin, and banjo. Then the bass guitar.”
Apart from music, Argus was also intrigued by acting, and therefore, he joined acting classes when he was in the first grade. In an interview, he said,
I started acting when I was really young, and just because I had a bunch of pent-up energy, I needed to do something…So my parents just threw me in an acting class, and I took to it immediately. I think I was in first grade.”
Thereafter, he enrolled himself in Berklee College of Music in Boston, Massachusetts. Later, he moved to Los Angeles to pursue a career in acting. Meaww
LA Model Management Height: 6′ 1″
Hair Color: Dark Blonde
Eye Color: Green
Fin Argus’s father’s name is Bob Argus, and his mother’s name is Dina F Argus. His elder sister’s name is Sadie Argus, and his younger sister’s name is Lacey Argus.
As a Singer
During his childhood, he was a member of the Kidz Bop, a musical group that releases compilation albums featuring kids performing family-friendly versions of popular pop songs. As a part of Kidz Bop, Argus got the opportunity to extensively tour across the US & Canada to perform live concerts.
In 2017, he released his debut extended play titled ‘Lost at Sea,’ featuring four songs.
As an Actor
Fin Argus began his acting journey as a theatre artist. While talking about his first role in an interview, he said,
My first role was probably in that acting class. I played a river, and I just laid on the ground! That was my first role, technically.”
After starring in various local Chicago Musical Theatre productions, in 2011, he was featured in the short film ‘Requiem’ as a little boy. Other short films under his belt include Virtual High (2016), Perception (2017), and The Regulars (2017). He came into the limelight when he played one of the protagonists, Hansen, in AwesomenessTV’s WGA Award-winning series ‘The Commute’ (2016). The YouTube series follows the neighbors Hansen and Emma who strike a deal to carpool together as they are tired of the horrific public transportation system of Los Angeles.
In 2017, he made his television debut when he played the cameo role of Jack in the American superhero series ‘The Gifted’. He played the role of Gordon in the 2020 television series ‘Marvel’s Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.’ From 2018 to 2019, he appeared in ‘Total Eclipse,’ a web series uploaded on Brat’s YouTube channel in which he played the recurring role of Julian. He rose to prominence with the 2020 biographical film ‘Clouds’ in which he portrayed the role of American singer-songwriter Zach Sobiech who died in 2013 due to osteosarcoma, a type of bone cancer. Before his death, Zach Sobiech released the song “Clouds” (2012) about his battle with cancer, which gained massive popularity. Eventually, the song became the inspiration for the title of the film.
- Music Band: Tune-Yards
- Singer(s): Kishi Bashi, Yellow Ostrich, Vampire Weekend, Sufjan Stevens, and Moses Sumney
- Actor: Timothée Chalamet
- Clothing Brands: Gucci, Calvin Klein & Raf Simmons
- Sport: Rock Climbing
- When asked about the reason behind the change of his name from ‘Steffan Argus’ to ‘Fin Argus’ in an interview, he replied,
Fin is a nickname that for a long time only my dad and little sister called me. The name came to hold a special place in my heart and ultimately felt more like me…Embracing that name gives me a sense of freedom to be exactly who I want to be…and continue to explore what feels like the truest sense of self.”
- Although he is well-versed in playing various instruments like guitar, piano, french horn, and banjo, his go-to instrument is the ukulele. In an interview, he said,
My go-to instrument is the ukulele, originally because of the ease it takes to come up with unique new chords.”
- Classically trained in music, Argus can also read sheet music and write music compositions and lyrics.
- In 2016, he began his career as a model when he walked the ramp for the Barneys’ Saint Laurent Spring/Summer presentation.
- In an interview, Fin referred to himself as an “embodiment of contradiction.” Despite being comfortable in the spotlight since childhood, his songs are introspective and talk a lot about escapism and seeking shelter. While explaining this contradiction, he said,
I am, ironically, quite the introvert, but getting on stage, or in front of a camera seems to unlock something in me. Similar to the mental freedom going by “Fin” allows me, performing gives me a space to express feelings that otherwise I tend to bottle up.”
- He actively participated in musical theatre during his childhood. While talking about how music and acting go hand-in-hand for him, he said,
My first interest was musical theatre. In a more personal sense, my original music helps my acting because it helps me connect to and confront my deeper emotions.”
- On his social media accounts, Argus refers to himself as Peter Pan, a fictional, free-spirited, and mischievous young boy who never grows up.
- The story highlight titled ‘trans family,’ featured on Argus’s Instagram account, reflects that he is an active supporter of the LGBTQ community.
References [ + ]