Emma Coronel Aispuro is a Mexican-American model who is best known for being the wife of Joaquín Guzmán (commonly known as El Chapo), a Mexican drug dealer and former leader of the Sinaloa Cartel, an international crime syndicate. She came into the spotlight when the close aide of El Chapo, Damaso Lopez Nuñez, confessed that Emma conspired the gutsy escape of El Chapo from Mexico’s high-security Altiplano prison. She was detained at Dulles International Airport in Virginia on drug trafficking charges.
Emma Coronel Aispuro was born on Monday, July 3, 1989 (age 31 years; as of 2020), and she hails from Sinaloa, Mexico.
Height (approx.): 5′ 7″
Hair Color: Black
Eye Color: Black
Family & Ethinicity
Parents & Siblings
Like El Chapo, Emma’s father, Inés Coronel Barreras, is also a convicted narcotrafficker and a former high-ranking leader of the Sinaloa Cartel. Her mother’s name is Blanca Estela Aispuro, and her brother’s name is Omar Coronel Aispuro.
Relationships, Husband & Children
Emma Coronel Aispuro’s husband, Joaquín Guzmán (commonly known as El Chapo), who was once considered Mexico’s most-wanted drug lord. In 2011, she gave birth to twin girls, Emali Guadalupe Guzmán Coronel and María Joaquina Guzmán Coronel.
She was crowned as the queen in a local beauty contest at the Coffee and Guava Fair (2007), which later became questionable as she won the title only after hundreds of El Chapo’s men surged into the city with machine guns slung over their shoulders and heavy-caliber pistols on their belts. El Chapo himself made an appearance in the lavish party organized by Emma to win supporters and announced his intentions to marry her.
Later, she pursued a career in modeling. She appeared in the American reality television series Cartel Crew (2019), which gives its viewers a glimpse into the personal lives of descendants of drug trafficking families as they try to put their pasts behind them.
- Emma Coronel Aispuro was arrested at Dulles International Airport in Virginia on February 22, 2021, after being charged with the conspiracy to unlawfully import and distribute illegal drugs into the US. She appeared before a federal judge in Washington DC on February 23, 2021, and was ordered to remain in detention for a while. She is also accused of organizing El Chapo’s audacious escape from Mexico’s high-security Altiplano prison in 2015. BBC News
- Even after hearing the shocking revelations about El Chapo’s life during his three-month trial in New York in 2019, which included raping young girls, carrying out cold-blooded murders, and spying on Emma and his other mistresses, Emma remained compassionate towards her husband. BBC News In an interview, she said,
I don’t know my husband as the person they are trying to show him as, but rather I admire him as the human being that I met, and the one that I married.”
- Emma Coronel frequently drinks alcohol.
- Emma Coronel Aispuro (born in 1989) was 32 years younger than El Chapo (born in 1957) when she got married to him.
- She has dual citizenship of the United States and Mexico.