Daniel Vitalis is an American hunter-gatherer, registered Maine guide, podcast host, writer, public speaker, and entrepreneur. He is known for hosting the WildFed Podcast, which encourages people to follow a wild-food journey.
Daniel Vitalis was born in 1977 (age 43 years; as in 2020) in New Hampshire, US. He learned hunting, fishing, and foraging as an adult. At present, he is living in Bridgton, Maine, US.
Hair Color: Dark Brown
Eye Color: Brown
Family & Ethnicity
Daniel’s father, who was a paleontologist, left the family when Daniel was still a child. His mother suffered from mental health problems. In 2005, he met Avani who is a French-Canadian teacher. Daniel and Avani started dating in 2015 and got married in 2018.
Daniel followed a vegan lifestyle for almost 10 years during which he spread awareness about veganism through conferences and workshops around North America and abroad. He later abandoned veganism. In 2008, he started a nutrition company, SurThrival.com, which sells health supplements and food.
In June 2014, he launched a podcast titled ‘ReWild Yourself Podcast,’ which is available on iTunes and Stitcher Radio.
In 2019, he started ‘WildFed Podcast’ to encourage people to start their own wild-food journey through hunting and gathering.
He also launched a website, ‘Find a Spring,’ where one can track springs near them.
- Botanist: Arthur Haines
- Book: A New Path: To Transcend the Great Forgetting Through Incorporating Ancestral Practices Into Contemporary Living Book by Arthur Haines
- He is a dog lover and has a Plott Hound named Ellie.
- He became a vegetarian in his teens. While growing up, he adopted raw-food veganism, which lasted for almost 10 years. According to Daniel,
I discovered veganism in the early days of the Internet, and I was emotionally overwhelmed by the ethics of it”
- Daniel was convinced that a non-vegetarian diet was necessary for a healthy human diet after he read a book by a dentist. He abandoned veganism. However, he was already giving speeches at vegan events by the time he quit veganism. This became a problem for him as he would go on the stage only to speak about problems relating to a vegan diet; he was soon kicked out of the vegan community.
- After leaving veganism, he started foraging. While foraging, he found a mentor in the botanist Arthur Haines who runs the primitive-living-focused Delta Institute of Natural History in Canton, Maine. Eventually, he began his ‘ReWild Yourself Podcasts.’ While interviewing experts in the field, he explored the hunter-gatherer lifestyle. When he realized that he wanted to live a hunter-gatherer lifestyle earnestly, he learned how to hunt.
- He co-wrote his first book ‘Pine Pollen: Ancient Medicine for a New Millennium’ with Stephen Harrod Buhner in 2012.
- Daniel has both of his arms, upper chest, upper back, and shoulders, covered in tattoos. He also has some words tattooed on the back of his ears.