Collin Kelly Jost was born on Tuesday, June 29, 1982 (age 38 years; as of 2020), in Grymes Hill, Staten Island, New York.
He went to Regis High School in Manhattan. He pursued his majors in history and literature, with a focus on Russian literature and British literature from Harvard University, and graduated cum laude in 2004. When he was studying at Harvard, he was the president of the undergraduate humor publication ‘Harvard Lampoon.’
Hair Color: Dark Brown
Eye Color: Blue
Family & Ethnicity
Parents & Siblings
His mother, Kerry J. Kelly, was the chief medical officer for the New York City Fire Department, and his father, Daniel A. Jost, is an engineer and former teacher (of mechanical drawing) at Staten Island Technical High School.
He has a younger brother named Casey Jost, who is also a writer and comedian.
Relationships & Wife
He was once dating the journalist Carmel Lobello and actress Rashida Jones.
In May 2017, he came into a relationship with the actress Scarlett Johansson and in May 2019, they got engaged. In October 2020, they got married.
He is stepfather to Rose Dorothy Dauriac, Scarlett’s daughter from her previous marriage to the journalist Romain Dauriac.
As a Writer
While studying at Harvard, Colin participated in the college edition of the American general knowledge-based show ‘The Weakest Link’ and won $5,250. After completing his graduation, he started working as a reporter and copy-editor for the Staten Island Advance. Subsequently, he worked as a writer of the short-lived Nickelodeon animated show Kappa Mikey (2006).
After he left Kappa Mikey, he started working for NBC’s Saturday Night Live (SNL) as a writer in 2005. As a part of the SNL team, he worked as a writing supervisor from 2009 to 2012, co-head writer from 2012 to 2015, and regained that status in late 2017. He took a summer hiatus following the 2012–13 season of SNL after which he was offered to host the SNL Weekend Update by the executive producer Lorne Michaels; it was due to Seth Meyers leaving the show. On March 1, 2014, episode of Weekend Update, Jost replaced Seth Meyers.
Apart from films and SNL, he has also written for shows: The Late Night with Seth Meyers (2014), Golden Globe Awards (2018), and Primetime Emmy Awards (2019).
As an Actor
In 2015, he made his acting debut with the comedy film ‘Staten Island Summer’ in which he played a minor role (of Officer Greg); he has also written the screenplay of the film.
He has also acted in the films: How to Be Single (2016), Tom & Jerry (2021), and Worst Man.
Awards & Achievements
Awards Won for Saturday Night Live
- Writers Guild of America Award for Comedy/Variety (including talk) series in 2007, 2009, 2010
- Peabody Award in 2010
- Writers Guild of America Award for Comedy/Variety – Sketch Series in 2017 and 2018
- In 2016, he was subjected to fierce backlash after he made a transgender joke on SNL. In the show, he had said,
The dating app Tinder announced a new feature this week, which gives users 37 different gender identity options. It’s called, Why Democrats lost the election.”In response to the criticism, started that the joke argued on identity politics (particularly on the left) helping Donald Trump pull out his surprising upset victory over Hillary Clinton in the US presidential election. Washington Post
- In September 2018, Colin and Michael Che (co-host of SNL) encountered backlash after they were announced to be the hosts of the 2018 Emmy Awards. The audience had a negative response to them hosting due to the fact that they had regressive humor and had shown poor handling of criticism in the past. Vox
- Food: Buffalo Wings, Crabs
- Film(s): Mulholland Drive (2001), Groundhog Day (1993)
- Travel Destination: Puerto Rico
- American Football Team: New York Giants
- Baseball Team: New York Mets
- Comedian: Norm Macdonald
- Colin likes surfing and once in a year, he goes out to surf in Rincon, Puerto Rico.
- He hates golf but goes out golfing whenever he gets a chance.
- He despises eggplant, mushrooms, and avocados because he has a very weak sense of smell and focuses more on the texture of foods.
- According to Colin, his ancestors were generals in the American Revolutionary War (1775-83) and the Civil War (1861-65) and accompanied the right side for both the wars. He also says that his grandfather and great-grandfather were Staten Island firefighters.
- Growing up, he looked up to Norm Macdonald and Norm was his primary influence for his anchor work in SNL Update. Apart from Macdonald, he also considers Tina Fey an influence.
- When he was ten, he was a participant in the Junior Olympics for the 50-meter and 100-meter breaststroke.
- In his high school, he was the editor of ‘The Owl,’ his high school newspaper in which he used to write the humor column called ‘Owl Droppings.’
- While pursuing graduation, he was dorm-mates with Pete Buttigieg (2020 Democratic presidential candidate) at Leverett House, Harvard. He donated $100 for Buttigieg’s mayoral reelection campaign in 2015, and also portrayed Pete in the 45th season of SNL during Buttigieg’s presidential campaign.
- When he was at Harvard, Mark Zuckerberg created Facebook. According to his memoir, he had begged him (Zuckerberg) not to create Facebook as he believed it to be a waste of time.
- In 2009, he was made the “New Face” at the Montréal Just for Laughs festival. He has attended the Chicago Just for Laughs festival in 2011 and 2012 and the Montréal festival in 2010 and 2012.
- Colin has also written “Shouts and Murmurs” pieces in The New Yorker magazine. He has also worked for the publications such as The New York Times Magazine, The Huffington Post, The Staten Island Advance, and Radar.
- In 2014, he was on a vacation with his then-girlfriend Carmel Lobello in St. Barts, where he was surfing and got pinned against the rocks by his own leash. He was bleeding excessively and was crushed by five-foot waves, but was rescued by Jimmy Buffett (American Singer-songwriter and musician), who had come with his family there. Buffett saved him by paddling over to the rocks and cutting Jost lose with the knife (that he carried while surfing).
- Jost and Green Bay Packers quarterback Aaron Rodgers were signed up for the advertising campaign of the clothing company Izod in late 2018.
- On March 4, 2019, Colin Jost and Michael Che appeared on WWE’s Monday Night Raw, where they were announced special correspondents for WrestleMania 35. In the show, Colin and Michael took part in the André the Giant Memorial Battle Royal after they annoyed the wrestler Braun Strowman. During the battle, they tried to eliminate Braun but ended up getting eliminated by him.
- In July 2020, he published a memoir titled ‘A Very Punchable Face: A Memoir.’ His book was well-received by the readers and was also listed as the New York Times Bestseller.
- Colin also sells mocktails, cartoons that he draws in cocktail napkins whenever he is waiting for someone at a bar. The mocktails are printed on t-shirts or cocktail napkins.