Bessie Carter is an English actress who is best known for her roles of ‘Evie Wilcox’ in the TV series Howards End (2017), ‘Violet Woodhouse’ in the series Beecham House (2019), and ‘Prudence Featherington’ in the web TV series Bridgerton (2020).
Bessie Carter was born on Monday, October 25, 1993 (age 26 years; as in 2019) in London, England, UK.
She did her schooling from Francis Holland School and Francis Holland School in London. She is an alumna of Guildhall School of Music and Drama, London.
Height: 5’ 10” The Times
Hair Color: Brown
Eye Color: Blue
Family & Ethnicity
Her father, Jim Carter, OBE is an English actor known for his role as ‘Mr. Carson’ in the TV series Downtown Abbey (2010-15). Her mother, Imelda Staunton, CBE is also an English actress who is best known for her role as ‘Dolores Jane Umbridge’ in the Harry Potter series.
Bessie is a lesbian and has often been vocal about the LGBTQ+ community on her social media accounts.
She was in a relationship with a girl named Leonie Benesch.
She began her acting career with the series, Cranford (2007) in the role of ‘Margaret Gidman’ in which she was seen with her parents, Imelda Staunton and Jim Carter, who played the roles of ‘Captain Brown’ and ‘Miss Octavia Pole,’ respectively.
She played her first major role of ‘Evie Wilcox’ in the TV series, Hogwards End (2017), and is also known for her work in the TV series, Doc Martin (2017), Beecham House (2019), and Bridgerton (2020).
She made her film debut with the role of ‘Ensemble Factory Woman’ in Les Misérables (2012) and went on to act in the films, Oil (2018), The Good Liar (2019), Two (2020), and Emerge (2020).
Bessie’s stage debut came with the play ‘The Secret Rapture’ (2015) in the role of ‘Marion’ at Guildhall School of Music and Drama.
Bessie has also acted in the theatre plays- Lulu (2015), King Lear (2016), Baskerville (2018), and All My Sons (2019).
- She likes reading plays and traveling in her spare time. Apart from these activities, she also takes an interest in cricket and horse riding.
- Since her childhood, Bessie had an interest in acting; she also used to participate in her school plays.
- Bessie never liked studying and going to school and always found ways to drop out of her school. Her mother was ready to take her out of school, but her father was against it, as he wanted her to complete her basic education. Talking about her schooling, Bessie said,
I just school in general. I was like ‘why am I sitting in school doing things I don’t like, when I know exactly what I want to do?’. At 16 I was going to drop out of school, my mum was all for it, but my dad said that I should finish because I would regret it if I dropped out. I had an agent from the age of 13 and had done 2 telly jobs whilst at school, mainly to get out of school, and not because of the acting.
- After completing her school, she took a year off studying and began working as an assistant stage manager, and later, a stage manager; simultaneously, she also spent her time traveling. After she returned, she auditioned for a drama school and started training in acting.
- In 2016, she won the Spotlight Prize for Best Screen Actor.
References [ + ]