Abel James is an American author, musician, podcast host, and entrepreneur. He is the founder and host of the well-received health podcast and blog ‘Fat-Burning Man.’
Abel James was born on Thursday, August 23, 1984 (age 36 years; as in 2020), in Meredith, New Hampshire, as Abel James Bascom. He was a valedictorian at the New Hampton School. He earned his Bachelor of Arts degree in Psychological and Brain Sciences from Dartmouth College, New Hampshire, and graduated as a senior fellow with honors. He also studied music at the Royal College of Music, London.
Hair Color: Dark Brown
Eye Color: Blue
Family & Ethnicity
Parents & Siblings
His father used to work at a restaurant, and his mother is a holistic practitioner and herbalist. He has an elder brother who is an organic farmer.
Relationship & Wife
On January 3, 2015, he got married to Alyson Bridge after dating her for a few years. At present, the couple is living in Austin, Texas.
In 1999, he started working as a music instructor and taught music theory and instruments for almost 7 years. Simultaneously, he worked as an eBay reseller for 8 years. After he completed his graduation, he worked as a senior consultant at Kaiser Electronics, a boutique strategy consulting firm, for a year. He then started working at The Science of Information Institute as an information services consultant and system designer and worked there for more than two years. He then worked as a managing consultant for four years at Manhattan Strategy Group. While he was working as a consultant, he was also running a health blog called Honest Abes Tips. He started his podcast and blog called ‘The Fat-Burning Man’ in 2011. The podcast is focused on helping individuals gain fitness through Paleo, ancestral, and real food principles.
He published his first book ‘The Musical Brain’ in March 2012.
He also wrote the books: Intro to Paleo (2012), The Wild Diet (2015), and Designer Babies Still Get Scabies: A Small Book of Mostly Silly Poetry (2019). Abel is also the writer of cookbooks, which he wrote with George Bryant, some of them are Quick and Easy Paleo Crock Pot Recipes (2013), Quick and Easy Paleo Dessert Recipes (2013), Quick and Easy Paleo Side and Sauce Recipes (2013), and Quick and Easy Paleo Breakfast Recipes (2013).
He launched ‘Wild Superfoods,’ a dietary supplements company, in 2018.
He is also a multi-instrumentalist and singer-songwriter, who has performed in international tours and concerts and won several awards in writing and performance arts.
Awards & Achievements
- 100 Most Influential People in Health and Fitness by Greatist in 2015 and 2016
- Paleo F(x) for Best Paleo Podcast for ‘Fat-Burning Man’ in 2015
- ‘Fat-Burning Man Podcast’ listed in Huffington Post’s Top 3 Podcasts of All Time
- ‘Fat-Burning Man Podcast’ listed in Apple iTunes Top 1 in 8+ Countries
- Podcast Awards for People’s Choice Best Health and Fitness Podcast for ‘Fat-Burning Man’
- Mindshare Summit for Best Podcast for ‘Fat-Burning Man’
- Food: Pumpkin Pie, Bacon Bourbon Apple Pie
- Dessert: Cheesecake
- Beverage: Coffee
- He loves dogs and has a yellow labrador named ‘Bailey.’
- While he was working as a consultant, he suffered from obesity and began visiting nutrition experts and dieticians. He tried several measures prescribed by his doctors but nothing worked for him. According to Abel,
I was already running 20, 30 miles a week. And after about a year of following that advice, I was about 30 plus pounds overweight. My thyroid had crapped out and I couldn’t really maintain my body temperature above 96 degrees. I was sweating all the time. I was puffy and I was a mess. All the problems that we were trying to avoid had showed up in my life even though I was in my early 20s. It wasn’t until then that I looked in the mirror and realize the state of my health because I used to be an athlete before that. And I looked like a 45-year-old man who was completely out of shape, and I’m just like, this clearly isn’t working. My life is a mess. Let’s make this a project. And within a few months, all of the weight had come off. I had a six-pack. I was basically transformed into a fat-burning man by doing the opposite of what that doctor was telling me to do. And by embracing basically that world of alternative health that I was raised in using a lot of plants and eating a lot of plant foods, but also not being afraid of fat.”
- In 2011, Abel was a participant in the Austin Marathon, an annual marathon held in Austin, Texas.
- In 2013, Abel released his cooking app by the name ‘Caveman Feast.’ The same year, Abel was named the first independent publisher to hold the #1 food app and #6 app overall in Apple Store.
- Abel James has advised companies such as Microsoft, Danaher, and Lockheed Martin; he has keynoted for the Federal Government and lectured at Ivy League universities.